In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Strategy & Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Ensure program is on-time, on-scope and within budget.
- Structure his/her team to ensure that all program aspects meet the highest programmatic standards and adhere to industry norms/regulations.
- Track program objectives and deadlines.
- Ensure the monitoring of all grant agreements for compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures as well as donor/government/external rules and regulations.
- Ensure that Standard Operating Procedures for all program activities are in place, staff are trained and strictly adhere to them.
- Oversee the performance of sub-grantees, consultants and contractors.
- Oversee all aspects of design, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and ensure that all program aspects are documented and archived according to internal/donor requirements.
- Ensure the program is in alignment with Mercy Corps’ principles, values and the program’s strategic plan.
- Ensure all program management minimum standards are met (including risk management, issues management).
- Ensure optimal integration of all program components for maximum impact.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Oversee program start-up and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities, authorities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria
- Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting, distribution processes and capacity building of partners as needed
- Initiate needs assessments, surveys and other data gathering tools to ensure that Mercy Corps has continued access to updated information and is able to address emerging needs in timely manner
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, resilience approach and capacity building into all activities as appropriate
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to achieve the desired impact
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources and timely, accurate and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Fulfill Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Recruit a program team and ensure that program staff receive necessary inductions and training (including program management certification where required).
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary
- Create a work atmosphere of mutual respect conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Implement, and ensure all staff members are effectively using, the performance planning and management system, establishing performance expectations and regularly providing constructive feedback.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees and ensuring that supervisory staff personnel do the same.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Lead the program team in implementation of all field program activities.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to programming and operations.
- With the support of the Operations Manager ensure adequate operational systems are in place to provide for programs
- Manage program budget(s) as primary budget holder
- Strictly follow Mercy Corps Fraud and Corruption Prevention guidelines.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage partnerships on state and local levels with different stakeholders such as state and local government, civil society, UN agencies, peer INGOs, businesses and program participants.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall program targets and donor obligations are met.
- Host and ensure logistic support for donor or other stakeholders field visits
- Recognize and bring forward opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment, inclusion and participation
- In coordination with management set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development
- Maintains ultimate responsibility for the security and safety of Mercy Corps staff and resources in the field.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: Yobe Program Team
Reports Directly To: Deputy Director for Programs
Works Directly With: Operations, Finance, Program Managers, TSU team members, and Cash Team.
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/Msc or equivalent in international development, management, economics or other relevant field. Strong management skills, with good knowledge of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- 7 years of management experience in progressively responsible positions.
- Experience leading the implementation of multi-sector integrated projects.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative. Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with a wide range of actors required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, Government and partners.