Reports to: Country Director, Afghanistan
Location: Kabul, AF
Funding: 100% Direct
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
The Program Director will work on the Internews implemented Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs funded program on Migration Management and the Role of the Media in Afghanistan. The goal of this two- year program is to improve the quality of information available on migration and migration-related issues in Afghanistan and to increase engagement between migrants and their communities on the risks of irregular migration, their rights and possible legal alternatives.
The Program Director will report to the Country Director. He/she will provide management support on all program activities and leadership on M&E, Communications, and reporting. He/she will ensure good coordination and communications among the whole Internews team to promote efficient and effective implementation of the program. He/she will also provide support to the Country Director, as required, in the day-to-day activities of the Kabul office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Director will be responsible for a variety of tasks including the following:
- Overall program management of the Migration and Media program with support from the Country Director;
- Overseeing the implementation of the M&E plan and supporting partners with tracking and reporting on program activities;
- Ensuring the delivery of project activities in coordination with other Internews staff and key partners. These activities will include the distribution and monitoring of large sub-grants to partner organizations in the Country;
- Working with partners to ensure effective and timely implementation of activities as well as completion of all deliverables;
- Mentoring local program management staff and ensuring their involvement in all aspects of Program implementation.
- Producing narrative project reports for Internews and the donor
- Directly supervising M&E and Communications activities;
- Leading the development of all internal and external communications materials in collaboration with Internews’ Country Director;
- Supporting the Country Director, as required, in the day-to-day running of the Kabul office
- Representing Internews at external meetings as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least five years’ experience in program implementation and management required, experience managing programs funded by international donors highly desirable;
- Experience working in Afghanistan required;
- Understanding of media development and migration related issues preferred;
- Excellent writing skills required;
- Excellent diplomatic, interpersonal, and communication skills required;
- Demonstrated decision-making, problem-solving, and team-building ability required;
- Relevant degree required; graduate degree preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include normal color perception and close vision for use of computer terminal and reading printed and electronic materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to the risk of radiation from regular exposure to computer VDTs.
Expected office hours are Sunday through Thursday from 8:30am to 5:00pm.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
Closing Date: 30 May 2019