Based in Accra, Ghana
Who we are!
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for a Program Director with Country Representative duties based in Accra, Ghana to support PSI’s Insecticide Treated Net (ITN) distribution work for the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) VectorLink project. VectorLink is equipping countries to plan and implement safe, cost-effective and sustainable life-saving malaria vector control interventions with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. The Program Director will oversee daily activities of the VectorLink project in Ghana and should be capable of managing a diverse staff. In addition to proven skills in organizational management, the position requires significant international experience with international donors, an interest in private sector approaches to development and relevant language skills. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to manage a complex platform, increase health impact and maintain excellent partnerships with donors, the government and other key stakeholders.
Sound like you? Read on.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent PSI to stakeholders (government, donors, partners, etc.) in programming areas impacting the successful and smooth running of the VectorLink project.
- Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety.
- Ensure that mitigation actions are implemented and proactively work with HQ to ensure adequate oversight and support is provided across teams.
- Develop, maintain and manage program work plans and track progress towards achieving targets.
- Monitor the progress of program targets and initiate corrective action when necessary.
- Anticipate potential schedule or priority delays and formulate/initiate plans for alternative actions.
- Provide programmatic oversight and be responsible for the actions of team members.
- Assist timely delivery of ITNs to field sites in coordination with supply chain team.
- Coordinate and manage activities with and between PSI’s internal departments, including: internal audit, research/ M&E, program, operations, HR and finance to guide implementation of program activities.
- Conduct field supervision visits to implementation counties, document findings, propose corrective actions and work with relevant stakeholders and PSI departments to address the findings.
- Ensure that all donor compliance requirements and PSI’s internal guidelines and policies are strictly adhered to at all times.
- Manage VectorLink budget and regularly monitor expenditure trends, raising any issues/challenges once they are identified.
- Participate in external meetings, technical working groups, coordination meetings, etc. that impact the successful and smooth running of project activities.
- Coordinate submission of internal and external program progress reports as well as responses to requests by donors, government, and partners.
- Ensure timely submission of all reports and feedback to all donor queries.
- Ensure compliance with PSI global Financial policies and Internal Controls.
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MPA, MPH, MD, PhD) or equivalent experience; special consideration will be given to candidates with a proven track record that combines strong management and technical skills.
- Minimum 8 years of project/program management and international coordination experience, with at least 5 years of experience in health sector.
- Proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional program and financial management experience and skills along with planning and time management skills.
- Knowledge and experience in applying monitoring and evaluation tools in program management and using information gathered to improve program performance.
- Strong preference will be given to those candidates with significant experience implementing malaria elimination activities.
- Experience interacting with the USAID, government agencies, MOH and host country governments and counterparts.
- Ability to facilitate and work in multi-cultural environment.
- Enthusiasm and a desire to make a positive impact as a team leader and team player.
- Oral and written fluency in English.
- Work authorization in Ghana is required
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform