With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Location: Washington, DC
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a Program Coordinator who will provide assistance and program support for the US Region. Independent judgment is important and required to plan, prioritize and organize your workload within this busy program. The position requires an individual with a can-do attitude who understands how to get things done in a large, complex organization through influence and collaboration. It is also essential that the person have strong writing and communication skills, and to handle sensitive and confidential information. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to grasp administrative processes quickly and work well within a team. The Program Coordinator reports to the Senior Director, Operations, US Region and serves as a supporter and trusted advisor to them and the Senior Vice President, US Region.
- Responsible for all administrative tasks including travel planning, preparing expense reimbursements, scheduling and all additional administrative tasks necessary to support the Senior Vice President.
- Prepare written materials, respond to information requests and help coordinate and track activities of the community collaboration team.
- Attend internal and external meeting and be able to document, identify and track key takeaways, next steps, including research needs.
- Coordinate with the Region’s financial analysts on administering contractual agreements for consultants, including working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the team and preparing correspondence as needed.
- Collaborate on preparation and distribution of reports and other written material
- Promote effective collaboration and communication across the Program, regions, and with other partners across the organization.
- Carry out independent problem-solving and decision-making; conveying decisions to stakeholders in a timely manner
- Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in project management (in a non-profit setting preferred) and exceptional personal organization, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships with senior level staff (preferably across time zones and regions)
- Ability to problem solve and overcome roadblocks with persistence, a positive attitude, and a sense of humor
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office Suite, remote conferencing systems (Zoom, Bluejeans, Teams). Demonstrated comfort and fluency with MS Excel required. Familiarity with project management and team collaboration applications preferred
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.