With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Program Coordinator will serve as a key point person, coordinating the activities and operations of the approximately 20-person water advocacy team. This is an expert administrative position requiring substantive, relevant experience and the ability to perform a combination of administrative, internal communications and content work. The Program Coordinator has a dual function, working closely with the water team within the Ecosystems Program and also as a part of the larger operations team for the Program. The Program Coordinator will provide project management leadership and support for the team and participate in all aspects of the Program. This is an excellent opportunity to exercise core business skills in support of a transformational advocacy campaign on a complex environmental issue, and to gain knowledge of work within a large non-profit.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the team, and preparing correspondence and reports as needed.
- Coordinate and help plan team external workshops and meetings
- Help coordinate the fundraising process for the team working in conjunction with team leadership, Development and AVP, Ecosystems.
- Coordinate periodic monitoring and evaluation processes to track progress on the team’s goals
- Manage schedules/meeting requests and make travel arrangements for program leadership.
- Oversee the administrative processes of the team, including expense reporting and meeting preparation including taking team notes.
- Work closely with program management and operations team members to aid in monitoring program budgets. Manage other administrative tasks associated with staff, consultants and interns, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Work with program staff (as needed) on research, writing, analysis and project management tasks that correspond to key program deliverables.
- Support the team through strategic input and relationship development.
- Become sufficiently knowledgeable about the scope and breadth of the program’s activities to participate effectively in program discussions.
- Play an integral role in other activities including evaluating and recommending new project ideas, disseminating and communicating project results, and being a team player in the development of a vibrant and entrepreneurial program.
- Ensure teams are utilizing and operating in compliance with EDF systems and work diligently to regularly improve and enhance EDF’s operational processes and infrastructure
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience in office administration.
- A Bachelor’s degree required or master’s degree with 0 to 1 year of experience.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Excellent management and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Presence, confidence and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Preferable locations (San Francisco, Austin, or Boulder).
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.