HarvestPlus seeks a highly-motivated Program Associate to join our team. The successful candidate will be mission-driven, versatile, and able to perform a range of duties in a dynamic and innovative environment. Reporting to the Manager, Talent Management, the Program Associate will assist with organizational projects and initiatives and support our growing External Affairs division. Forming a vital component of HarvestPlus, the External Affairs division consists of the Communications, Fundraising and Partnerships, and Advocacy and Policy units. This position is located at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC.
HarvestPlus improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals, and providing global leadership on biofortification evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. HarvestPlus is based at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and collaborates with multiple CGIAR centers and partner organizations.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
External Affairs Support – 50%
- Organize regular divisional meetings and other various meetings. Support includes ensuring internal tracking tools are updated in advance of divisional meetings, circulating and finalizing agendas, and taking/circulating meeting notes.
- Assist the Fundraising and Partnerships unit to edit and format donor proposals and reports as needed.
- Work with the External Affairs Coordinator and the Communications unit to execute logistics for the Annual Report mailing and collateral shipments. This may include preparing cover letters, liaising with country offices and other divisions to determine final count and shipping needs/timeline, managing and temporary staff, preparing mailing lists, packaging the materials, and working with the Facilities team to arrange international and bulk shipments.
- Support outreach activities of the Fundraising and Partnerships unit and the Advocacy and Policy unit. This includes compiling updated and relevant informational folders, preparing bios and organizational/event briefings, and liaising with partners and/or event staff to secure meetings, exhibit space, etc.
- Work with the External Affairs Coordinator to facilitate relationship management efforts by proactively updating and maintaining the Donor Database.
Travel and Meeting/Event Administration – 35%
- Assist staff and collaborators with international travel arrangements. This includes arranging itineraries, purchasing air tickets, preparing visa applications, performing travel-related research, booking accommodation, drafting visa letters and invitations, and processing and tracking post-travel paperwork and payments.
- Serve as logistics point person for meetings and events. This includes reserving meeting rooms, ordering catering services, liaising with Facilities Services and IT Services for room setup and IT needs, compiling/printing meeting handouts, taking notes if needed, and communicating logistics information to participants. Support for meetings based outside the US includes selecting appropriate venue/hotel, and negotiating contracts inclusive of meeting support services to be provided by venue staff.
- Coordinate arrangements for visitors to DC headquarters such as office reservation, keys, hotel accommodation, and travel arrangements if needed.
Program and Office Administration – 15%
- Assist with development and coordination of a wide range of organizational projects and initiatives aimed at enhancing staff engagement and improving internal communication and coordination.
- Regularly update and maintain administration databases, staff records, and online staff resources.
- Provide office support as needed, including ordering/organizing office supplies, preparing international shipments, reporting and following up on maintenance and/or IT issues, processing invoices and credit card bills, editing/formatting documents, purchasing workplace materials/equipment, etc.
- Additional administrative support for the CEO and Founder as needed; this may include scheduling meetings, and processing credit card bills and travel expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of administration work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Exceptional organizational skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities and keep track of many details.
- Must exhibit polished customer service skills and effectively communicate with all levels of the organization, including board members and external contacts.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; proven ability to be flexible in a team-oriented environment with diverse groups of people.
- Efficient, flexible, and able to quickly adapt and adjust work to resolve pressing issues.
- Experience and/or interest in international development, internal and external communications, advocacy, partnership development, and fundraising.
- Highly proficient with computers and related software, including Microsoft Office.
- Excellent typing skills required: 50-65 wpm preferred.
- Experience working or living outside the US.
- Proficiency in Microsoft SharePoint and/or Capsule.
- Proficiency in a language other than English.