ABOUT THE POSITION
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues who are passionate about the power of information to change the world. Internews’ Technical Leadership Unit (TLU) is seeking a full-time Program Associate. This is a unique, multi-faceted, entry-level role that offers the opportunity to develop administrative and project management skills and build your understanding of the role of media in communities, and how information is a root solution to many of the world’s most pressing issues, including health epidemics, climate change and humanitarian disasters.
The Program Associate is a key support position in a unit that drives inter-departmental collaboration around technical expertise, organizational learning, and knowledge management within Internews. The TLU is responsible for providing expertise to our projects around the world, in health and environmental journalism, media business and sustainability, gender, even film making. The TLU works to collate and document Internews best practice and finding ways to disseminate it throughout a highly decentralized organization and aims to ensure the organization’s strategic framework is reflected in daily practice.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have excellent written and oral communication skills; strong attention to detail; a knack for keeping highly organized; dedication to keeping things moving and on track; the ability to prioritize completing tasks; comfort with taking initiative; a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect journalists and marginalized people around the world.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of The Technical Leadership Unit. Ultimately, this job will be based in Washington, DC. However, all Internews’ staff are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to do so until at least January 1, 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. Candidates must have permission to live and work in the United States.
DAILY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
This position currently provides support to a number of thematic and technical teams, including our Health Programming team; our new Media Business unit which focuses on the financial viability of independent news media around the world; the Earth Journalism Network (EJN); gender; our work with FilmAid; and any other technical areas which may be added. The following duties and responsibilities are inclusive of support to all the above technical teams, as well as to our Director of Knowledge and Learning and to the SVP.
Administration & Finance
- Provide administrative support to ensure that program implementation complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures.
- Ensure the smooth processing of contracting and payment requests and financial compliance by communicating regularly with headquarters’ Accounting and Administration teams.
- Prepare invoices, wire transfer requests, expense reimbursements, and completing credit card reconciliation on a monthly basis.
- Compile forms and documentation related to subgrants, including payments and reports.
- Assist with the implementation of contracts.
- Document meetings as requested
- Coordinate travel logistics (if travel situation changes), assist with visa applications, and arrange accommodations for TLU team members
- Arrange virtual meetings, including organizing meetings, webinars, and other events across time zones with international partners and fellow colleagues.
Writing, Research & Internal Communications
- Create communications materials for projects as needed, such as two-pagers, presentation decks, positioning papers etc. Develop and maintain up-to-date briefing and PR materials for projects
- Compile and write monthly updates about the department for sharing internally with Internews staff
- Build, champion and maintain department-related micro-sites and knowledge hubs on our internal knowledge sharing platform, the HIVE, including designing and maintaining web pages and creating strategies to drive traffic to sites
- Provide support to our Director of Knowledge and Learning as requested for projects related to the HIVE and organizational learning initiatives
- Provide all data analytics for the HIVE, including compiling dashboards and drafting regular updates
- Support proposal development for new projects, including research, copy-editing, and supporting the development of draft budgets.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Prior experience in international development or non-profit sector (including field experience) OR relevant skills OR a relevant degree
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to balance and effectively prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines
- Show sensitivity and understanding for diverse perspectives in a multicultural environment
- Proactive willingness to communicate any challenges you’re facing to your supervisor and ask for help
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe
- Technical experience/expertise in a relevant thematic area, such as media, social media, data journalism, disinformation, gender, health, etc.
- Experience in Web design (HTML/CSS); Skills in graphic layout and design
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing a plus
- Familiarity with Office 365 tools, including Outlook, Teams, SharePoint and Yammer
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets
- Experience with financial management and familiarity with USAID rules and regulations
*Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply*
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility and believe diverse teams are strong teams. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.