The Listening Post Collective is looking for a thoughtful, creative, self-motivated person who is passionate about community development and journalism. We’re a small dynamic team working to make local journalism more representational and accountable to communities around the United States. We’re also focused on improving access to important news and information to populations affected by climate change, immigration, and other major issues. You can check out some examples of our work here.
You will help us manage and expand our community news initiatives around the US. Depending on the day, that could involve working with a bilingual community radio station on sustainability issues, crafting narratives about our field work for social media or our newsletter, writing funding proposals for important work, connecting with and learning from our organizational partners in more than 80 countries, even site visits to new potential projects. As part of this job you will learn the ins and outs of taking a community journalism idea from a pitch phase, to a funding phase, to an implementation phase.
The Listening Post Collective is part of Internews, a women-led international non-profit organization. We prioritize hiring young professionals for our projects who bring curiosity, new ideas and new perspectives to our work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage the Listening Post Collective online identity including promoting and explaining our work via social media, managing the Listening Post Collective website, crafting online narratives about our work, and participating in online communities and conversations around topics of local journalism;
- Develop and maintain up-to-date briefing and PR materials for active Listening Post Collective projects;
- Develop and manage relationships with partner organizations;
- Develop and implement a process for learning and knowledge sharing across Listening Post Collective partners and internally at Internews;
- Prepare proposals/research/reports; write, edit, proof, revise and assemble finished materials;
- Maintain project activity files for project development, reports, and follow-up communications with partners and funders;
- Assist the team with project oversight, including set-up for new projects, staff recruitment as needed and tracking progress towards program deliverables;
- Supervise seasonal program assistant staff as requested;
- Provide project staff with support such as research, correspondence and procurement;
- Coordinate travel logistics and arrange accommodations for partners as needed;
- Coordinate with Internews communications and development teams on public Listening Post Collective events as needed;
- Compile and distribute monthly program updates;
- Prepare contracts and subawards documentation for review and approval;
- Prepare invoices for review and payment approval;
- Track and manage personnel invoices and contracts, expenses and credit reports;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Relevant University degree required (i.e. communications, journalism, knowledge management)
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in journalism, community organizing, media or NGO sectors
- Superior analytical and writing ability for proposal development and external communications
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience with proposal writing and/or external communications
- Experience with social media
- Experience with MS Excel and Word
- Proven organization skills, with attention to detail
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize with a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing is a plus
- Experience with financial management
- Experience with event planning and/or arranging logistics
- Experience preparing expense reports and budgets
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.