About the Opportunity
Come join a team of dynamic colleagues and partners who are passionate about promoting digital rights and Internet freedom. Internews’ Global Technology Program is seeking a full-time Program Associate to support our efforts to promote digital safety for human rights defenders and vulnerable populations across the globe. This is a unique, multi-faceted, entry-level role that offers the opportunity to develop administrative and project management skills and build your understanding of how human rights and technology intersect. Program Associates in Internews’s Global Technology Program participate in the direct implementation of publicly-funded foreign assistance programs for human rights defenders.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have excellent written and oral communication skills; strong attention to detail; a knack for keeping highly organized; dedication to keeping things moving and on track; the ability to prioritize completing tasks; comfort with taking initiative; a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. We dress casually, laugh easily, and cheer each other on. This position reports to the Program Officer of the Global Technology Program (GTP).
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews’ Headquarters offices are closed and staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Our ideal candidate would be based in the United States of America and we will consider remote applicants in-country. Remote applicants should apply for this position with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align with those of colleagues in the GMT -5 time zone. Limited international travel will be required for this position (once it is safe to do so), and candidates must have permission to live and work in the United States.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
Administration & Finance
- Providing administrative support to ensure that program implementation complies with funder requirements and Internews’ policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the smooth processing of contracting and payment requests and financial compliance by communicating regularly with headquarters’ Accounting and Administration teams.
- Preparing invoices, wire transfer requests, expense reimbursements, and completing credit card reconciliation on a monthly basis.
- Compiling forms and documentation related to subgrants, including payments and reports.
- Assisting with the implementation of contracts.
Writing & Research
- Contributing to the writing and compiling of program reporting, including quarterly reports and other project-related reports.
- Helping track project metrics that serve to measure the success of the Global Technology Program.
- Supporting proposal development for new projects, including research, copy-editing, and supporting the development of draft budgets.
- Drafting communication between Internews and partners.
- Drafting project-specific content for internal and external communications, including blog posts and programmatic highlights.
Events & Presentations
- Organizing meetings, webinars, and other events across time zones with international partners and fellow colleagues.
- Supporting events and partner meetings, including coordinating agendas and travel logistics.
- Attending relevant local events (panels, presentations, etc.) upon request, and sharing notes with team.
Values & Flexibility
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to Internews’ Core Values.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications We’re Looking For
- Prior experience in international development or non-profit sector (including field experience) OR relevant skills OR a relevant degree
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Willingness to learn and adopt secure communication tools
- Proven ability to
- balance and effectively prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines
- show sensitivity and understanding for diverse perspectives in a multicultural environment
- proactively communicate any challenges you’re facing to your supervisor and ask for help
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at supporting and elevating voices of people across the globe
**Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply*
- Non-profit experience and/or familiarity with US Government rules and regulations
- Interest in anti-censorship, censorship circumvention, and Internet freedom
- Interest in the intersection of technology and human rights
- Prior understanding of, or willingness to learn, how censorship circumvention technologies function
- Experience using secure channels for communication
- Experience using project management tools (e.g. – Trello, Airtable, etc.)
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through the Taleo application portal. The Cover Letter should be no longer than one page and explain why you’d be a great fit for this position and what drew you to it. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and would like to hire this position before the end of May; as such, it benefits you to apply as soon as possible if the position is of interest.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.