The National Democratic Institute seeks a Program Officer to support NDI’s democratic development programs in Southern and East Africa (SEA). The Program Officer will work with members of the SEA team on programs supporting elections, parliamentary strengthening, youth civic engagement, civil society advocacy, and regional networking. The Program Officer will provide administrative and programmatic support for one or more designated programs and/or teams.
- Coordinate and/or participate in internal meetings to develop and maintain a knowledge of team and program objectives and work progress and demonstrate this understanding in the execution and completion of assigned work.
- Assist with the execution of program, and/or team plans by performing administrative (e.g. invoice processing, data entry, travel and meeting coordination, etc.) and programmatic assignments in accordance with established expectations and timelines.
- Support the evaluation of programmatic outcomes based upon specific measures/metrics defined in the established plan through the provision of data and other relevant information.
- Complete basic research and analysis assignments and provide summarized findings in a clear, concise and understandable manner, with objectives, relevant facts, data, and conclusions presented as required.
- Prepare and/or support the preparation of selected materials (proposals, work plans, presentations, etc.) and communications. Complete initial drafts of assigned reports and updates for dissemination to internal and external audiences, including donors and other key program partners, ensuring proper and accurate formatting, spelling, and grammar usage as well as inclusion of required content.
- Participate in strategy and work plan formulation discussions and create initial budget and plan-related document drafts for review/approval.
- Develop and/or implement processes and/or methodologies to assist in the tracking and monitoring of program and/or team work progress, data, and other relevant information (e.g. budget, travel), ensuring specific information required is captured and maintained to meet established record-keeping and documentation requirements.
- Serve as the point of contact for general requests for information or questions concerning team and/or programmatic activities/work and provide responses, directing those which are more complex or require more specific detailed responses to appropriate higher-level team members.
- Support the planning and execution of team events with external parties, attending as required to provide onsite support or as a development opportunity.
- Adhere to NDI’s organizational values, standards of conduct, policies and processes, and any other established expectations for NDI employees, including those related to performance, i.e. goals and position description accountabilities/responsibilities such as those presented herein.
Peripheral Accountabilities/Responsibilities (Non-essential)
- Participate in cross-functional initiatives as needed.
- Actively seek and engage in professional development opportunities to enhance knowledge in project/program management, and maintain a general working knowledge of relevant program trends and issues occurring external to NDI.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Incumbent operates under general supervision, receives direction on most processes and methods and is assigned most work.
- Incumbent regularly interacts with staff at all levels within NDI.
- Some interaction with external funders and partners is required when necessary to support the provision of information or clarify information necessary for program operations and administration activities.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- This is an entry level program position requiring no previous work experience. Previous internships in international development, political campaigning, legislative affairs or a related subject are desired.
- Prior relevant international field work experience in-country and/or completion of one or more semesters of education abroad is highly desired.
- Strong interest in one or more of NDI’s international development disciplines, e.g. political campaigns, elections, community organizing, technology/innovation, etc.
- Math skills and the ability to perform accurate calculations and understand quantitative information.
- Basic research and analysis skills to allow for gathering, summarizing and presenting findings.
- Interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to interact effectively and diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the organization, as well as externally both domestically and internationally with NDI partners, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image when giving and taking information in writing, in person, and through various communication media.
- An attention-to-detail, with a propensity to complete work accurately and with a focus on quality.
- Initiative and a basic level of proficiency in the ability to multitask and prioritize; manage time, perform project management, problem-solving, and organizational skills; and flexibility to adapt and respond to shifting priorities.
- Capacity to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to travel internationally, as needed.
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel and PowerPoint; knowledge of Google Suite tools preferred. Basic database skills are desired.
- Fluency in Arabic or French is a plus
- This position generally is performed in an office environment and may be suitable for partial telework.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required, as well as attendance at external events.
- International travel is typically not required for this role, but there may be occasions when the opportunity may be presented for such travel to support a given program or field activity. This is generally at no greater than 5% of an incumbent’s work time in this role.
- Sitting/mobility—to work at a desk and move around work areas.
- Speaking/hearing—to engage orally in conversation with others.
- Seeing—to effectively use a computer screen and for reading and interpreting printed materials, memos and other paperwork.
- Reaching/handling—to input information into computer systems and retrieve and work with appropriate paperwork, equipment and supplies and complete filing.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical-related condition.
To apply for this position, please visit the NDI website at: http://www.ndi.org/careers.