The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking candidates to work with its Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) team. This is a permanent position based in NDI’s Washington, DC office. The program assistant will support country and D.C. staff in the day-to-day activities and support in the planning, designing and implementing programs related to strengthening political parties, civic organizations, election bodies, local government and legislatures in a target country.
- Under close supervision and direction of senior staff within the team, the Program Assistant will:
- Provide administrative and logistical support
- Contribute to writing and reporting of various documents specific to the team
- Create initial drafts of budgets and assists in monitoring budgets, grants and expenditures for program reconciliations and reviewing documentation of NDI program expenditures
- Assist in the implementation of institutional systems and administrative processes related to managing overseas offices, in coordination with respective administrative teams
- Participate in program support and conduct research on programs
- Provide administrative support for proposal production and work plan formulation
- Attend meetings and keep up to date on the latest information on team, region, or partners
- Translate documents between English and Spanish, including correspondence, and program documents
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field; Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Experience working on LAC political issues
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in international development, community organizing, political campaigning, organizational development, legislative affairs or related subject
- Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel and NGO community
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Advanced Proficiency in Spanish and English is required
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.)
- Working knowledge of budget and accounting procedures
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations
- Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people
- Political analysis skills
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.