The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Program Assistant to provide programmatic and general administrative support to the Gender, Women and Democracy (GWD) Team. GWD contributes to the planning, designing and implementation of regional, country and global programs related to overcoming the barriers to women’s political participation as a pathway to gender equality and women’s empowerment. GWD also develops tools and approaches for gender-transformative democracy programming, informed by NDI’s theory of change, and its commitment to gender analysis and gender mainstreaming. While the team is based in the Washington DC office, due to COVID-19 the office is currently closed and the Program Assistant will work remotely.
Under close supervision and direction of a senior GWD team member, the Program Assistant will:
- Provide administrative and logistical support to all team activities, including travel and financial management
- Create initial drafts of program documents or portions thereof, including proposals, presentations, reports, memos, program updates, and newsletter articles
- Create initial drafts of budgets; monitor program expenditures using Excel, Quicken, and other budget tracking tools; reconcile program expenditures on a monthly basis
- Support proposal and work plan production, and assist in keeping NDI’s internal and external webpage postings current
- Organize technological aspects of hosting virtual program events and digital networking platforms
- Drafts messages for GWD’s Twitter account
- Attend and summarize meetings and other events to keep up to date on team, region, politics, security and partner-related developments
- Works with the Director to coordinate the Director’s schedule/calendar
- Attends meetings as requested to keep up to date on the latest information provided by NDI’s regional, functional or administrative teams,and by external partners
- As tasked, act as the primary liaison between GWD and NDI’s regional, administrative and functional teams
- Familiarity with NDI policies, procedures, and programs, a plus
- Extremely high degree of organization, initiative and attention to detail
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, solve problems, and meet deadlines
- Work or experience of living and working overseas, e.g. Peace Corps, a plus
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, gender studies or a related field; additional years of relevant work experience in the field of gender or women’s rights may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Demonstrated course work and/or internships or jobs in gender or women’s rights, international development, community organizing, political campaigns, or legislative affairs
- Experience in producing a variety of professional written products aimed at different audiences including donors, program beneficiaires, other practitioners, and the general public
- Interest in and knowledge of the gender and politics agenda
- Fluency in English and competence in foreign language(s) is an advantage
- Working knowledge of Microsoft and Google Windows environment, email technology and spreadsheets
- Basic knowledge of accounting and budgeting procedures
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and effectively communicate information
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information.
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
Please apply on-line through NDI’s website at: www.ndi.org/careers