THE WORLD BANK GROUP IS COMMITTED TO ACHIEVING DIVERSITY IN TERMS OF GENDER, NATIONALITY, CULTURE AND EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND. INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES ARE EQUALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE TREATED IN THE STRICTEST CONFIDENCE.
Background & General Description :
The World Bank’s Sri Lanka and Maldives Country Management Unit (CMU) is seeking a Program Assistant (PA) to be based in the World Bank Colombo Office. PAs support country operations across the spectrum of activities supported by the World Bank in Sri Lanka & Maldives. The candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team environment and will carry out a full range of support across sectors in the Colombo Office.
The World Bank has been assisting Sri Lanka in developing and delivering appropriate solutions to the country. Currently, The World Bank’s operation in Sri Lanka includes support to the reform and development agenda of the country on urban and transport infrastructure, rural development and community livelihoods, human development, climate change and disaster risk management and finance and private sector. The current active World Bank portfolio in Sri Lanka comprises 15 projects with a total net commitment value of USD 1.9 billion and Maldives comprises of 3 projects with a total net commitment of USD 44.6 million.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
• In addition to performing the full range of office support work within a team, a significant part of the job entails provision of some specialized support (e.g., database management, knowledge management, task management, major event/course planning, etc.). PAs report functionally to the Senior Executive Assistant.
• Work requires interpreting existing procedures and processes, independently determining which should be used, and applying these appropriately. Work requires extensive coordination with other Bank Group Units and frequent liaison with team members, regardless of location, and external counterparts. Incumbents also provide guidance to less experienced staff.
• Provide primary assistance in the implementation of the unit’s work program, including some specialized support in a specific area(s), e.g. task management, procurement, database management, information technology, editorial assistance, etc.
• Suggest ways to enhance efficiency of work among peers and within the unit.
• Exercise quality enhancement function for project and other documents by ensuring adherence to departmental and institutional guidelines.
• Participate in developing project/product time lines, using appropriate software.
• Attend meetings, drafts minutes and ensure timely clearance and distribution.
• Serve as an information resource on status of project/products (e.g. procurement, disbursement, audit, trust fund/co-financing, and legal issues) and draft a variety of standard project-related correspondence.
• Monitor task budget/trust funds for specific projects on behalf of the team.
• Undertake ad hoc inquiries in standard and non-standard databases, retrieve, manipulate and present data.
• Participate in mission field work as required.
• Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
• Internal Contacts:
1. Other VP Units, IFC and MIGA
2. Staff in all locations, locally and internationally
3. Units providing cross-support
• External Contacts:
1. Government Officials
3. Development Partner Organizations, Civil Society and the Private Sector
Minimum educational qualification of a Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Technology and systems knowledge – Exhibits excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and proficiency of technology or/and systems relevant to functional area. Able to coach less experienced staff on relevant technology and systems.
• Project and task management – Able to undertake diverse and complex assignments with minimal supervision and resolve competing demands. Demonstrates good organizational skills, can plan and prioritize own work and work of internal clients (e.g. manage manager’s calendar).
• Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Ability to demonstrate relevant functional knowledge and understanding of institutional priorities, policies, operational and administrative procedures, and people. Able to practically apply and guide others in policy application.
• Versatility and adaptability-Demonstrates initiative and motivation to proactively learn new developments in relevant policies, procedures and technology. Is able to proactively identify, prevent and/or solve problems. Able to participate in change activities and initiatives.
• Lead and Innovate-Suggests improvements to solve problems.
• Deliver Results for Clients-Takes personal responsibility to make things better for the client
• Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries-Initiates collaboration beyond the team.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge-Proactively and regularly shares knowledge.
• Make Smart Decisions-Identifies information needed to support decisions.