Global Ministries, the worldwide mission, humanitarian assistance, and development agency of the United Methodist Church seeks a Program Area Liaison to collaborate with GM program areas to strategically fulfill their communications needs. The Program Area Liaison will accompany each program area in determining the best strategic approaches to fulfilling their communications needs. Global Ministries program areas (departments) are the United Methodist Committee on Relief, Global Health, Missionary Service, the Center for Mission Innovation, Global Mission Connections and Finance and Administration.
We seek a talented, innovative, globally-minded individual who is able to serve as a communications conduit between programs areas like Global Health, the Center for Missionary Innovation, the United Methodist Committee on Relief, and Missionary Service.
Knowledge of the latest and most effective communication and design trends preferred. Excellent written and oral skills required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION:
· Collaborate with program areas to craft engaging communication strategies that align with Global Ministries’ vision and branding.
· Diplomatically negotiate program area needs and timelines with program area leaders and key decision makers in Communications.
· Create, update and maintain project plans in GM’s online project management tool.
· Communicate design and project updates regularly with assigned program areas.
· Assist program area staff with completing creative briefs for each project.
· Attend program area events and provide guidance on the most effective ways to post event content on GM social media channels.
· Take compelling photographs at each assigned program area event.
· Write short form stories about each assigned event.
· Special projects or other duties as assigned.
· Work with Communications, Advance, and Fundraising Senior Project Manager to maintain strategic content calendar.
· Must be flexible, patient, kind, and willing to be transparent and yet diplomatic in all communications.
· A passion for those in the world who are marginalized and the most vulnerable people groups.
· Desire to learn new technologies quickly and apply in daily communications tasks.
· Strong project management skills with attention to big picture thinking, creative visioning and details necessary to successfully complete projects on time and within budget.
· Ability to synthesize and communicate complex information in easy to understand and engaging ways.
· Ability to think strategically, work independently and in groups, and follow instruction with minimal intervention from executive management.
· Ability to communicate well in a variety of settings and to function in a diverse workforce.
· Understand and respect the cultural, religious, and political environment and use diplomacy when working with the staff and local partners.
· A drive and competitiveness to build a successful communications strategy from the ground up for assigned program areas.
· Sense of humor preferred.
· Knowledge of Chicago styles required.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Social Media apps and tools: Facebook, Twitter, bitly, Instagram, and Canva.