Position: Program and Grants Coordinator
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia with significant travel to Garowe and limited travel to Nairobi
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. RI has been working in South Sudan since 2005, delivering integrated Health, WASH, Nutrition, FSL and Protection projects.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure. In addition, RI has country offices registered as affiliates of one of the alliance members in an additional 18 countries.
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Program and Grants Coordinator will be responsible for the management and growth of RI Somalia’s multi-sectoral (education, health, nutrition, WASH and FSL) program portfolio, including but not limited to program management, budget management, strategic planning, team management and representation and coordination. The Program and Grants Coordinator will also lead program development efforts for RI Somalia’s multi-sectoral portfolio, focusing on mobilization, effective scale up and management of RI health, nutrition, FSL and WASH programs.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
Program management and strategy
- Assist the Country Director in leading the development and implementation of overall program strategy.
- Overall responsible effective programmatic and financial management of RI Somalia projects through effective project cycle management.
- Ensure timely submission of accurate, comprehensive, and high quality, project narrative (and financial) reports in line with agency and donor guidelines.
- Encourage a culture of learning and innovation, ensuring that all projects capture and document lessons learned and best practices.
- Ensure RI policies for grants management are adhered to.
- In collaboration with Regional Program Development Manager, identify and monitor business development opportunities and trends.
- Lead the development of innovative, high-quality, responsive and evidence-based concept notes and proposals for funding.
- Provide ideas, feedback and best practices and approaches to and collaborate closely with RI technical staff to design innovative, integrated programming.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise staff for the RI Somalia education, health, nutrition, FSL and WASH teams.
- Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of staff, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Ensure positive and collaborative working relationships in line with RI’s Code of Conduct.
Representation and coordination
- Actively participate in sector meetings and working groups to represent RI, present best practices from RI Somalia and RI needs assessments, learn from other partners, collect relevant information and report on RI implementation.
- Coordinate with RI’s technical field teams, RI’s Technical Advisory Department (TAD), WHO, UNICEF, Clusters and other technical agencies to ensure that standard guidelines and best practices are followed.
- Maintain effective working relationships related to activities with representatives of relevant government ministries, universities, NGOs and contractors, implementing partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Understand and adhere to Relief International established policies and procedures for administration, finance, procurement, data management and beneficiary data protection, child protection, Code of Conduct (including Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment) and security management;
- Reinforcing and ensuring compliance to policies and procedures and support of Child Protection Focal Point;
- Be flexible and willing to support the team as is needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred. Public health, education, international development or similar degree preferred.
- Minimum of four years management of humanitarian programming experience in project cycle management, preferably in low income/conflict-affected countries.
- Experience in proposal development for donors such as OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN Agencies etc.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience working with displacement issues and related international standards and frameworks, SPHERE standards, humanitarian coordination mechanisms and accountability principles.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with Somalia government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies, national and international staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication and ease in managing a multi-cultural team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Prior experience in Somalia an added advantage.
- Experience working in security-sensitive environments and enforcement of team security protocols is an asset.
RI upholds the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. RI values:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by November 20th, 2020. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted. This vacancy is open only to Somalia Nationals/Kenya Nationals of Somalia origin who are strongly encouraged to apply.
We thank you for your interest in the role and working with Relief International. However, only candidates shortlisted for the position will be contacted.