The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Product Manager to join its Technology Innovation team and lead NDI’s product initiatives, such as the Democracy Toolkit (https://dem.tools), designed to support civic and political groups working for democracy and human rights around the globe. This position may require international or domestic travel to customer sites or events.
The Product Manager will be responsible for executing NDI’s product vision in conjunction with department leadership, delivering bringing products to market. Candidates must have a blend of business savvy, technical acumen, and ambition to provide technology solutions that help to fuel and support NDI’s mission.
The Product Manager will work closely with team members who interface with partners and client needs to collect user stories, guide the development team, cultivate product roadmaps, build stories into our Agile development process, and write acceptance criteria for product development. The Product Manager will work with project management to ensure that software development – in-house or with vendors – is scoped appropriately and completed on time. The Product Manager will demonstrate NDI’s product solutions to stakeholders internally and externally, sharing successes of the DemTools initiative and managing key relationships with strategic partners.
- Manage product line life cycles, such as DemTools, including strategic planning, roadmap management, and sprint prioritization
- Drive a solution set across development teams, utilizing internal and vendor resources, and determine acceptance criteria for completion
- Conduct market research to identify additional requirements, new opportunities and product gaps
- Work with partner engagement specialist to understand the needs of customers for inclusion on roadmap
- Develop and document metrics for product execution including growth, utilization, total costs, and customer issues
- Hit targets established with the department leadership for software releases, public communication, and client growth
- Research and develop pricing, marketing and advertising plan
- Oversee testing of new features or fixes for NDI products
Public Communications and Partnerships
- Provide public communications, including speaking engagements and written communication, to support community outreach efforts on DemTools or other products
- Develop and manage partner or funder relationships for the products
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or Engineering preferred; will consider a combination of education, certifications and professional experience in lieu of a degree
- Minimum of eight (8) years relevant work experience preferably in product management in a professional or related environment
- Demonstrated experience using effective written and oral public communication skills within a professional environment and the ability to explain issues to a range of different people, from developers to non-digital people required
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively under pressure required
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 10% of time based on budget and organizational needs
- Knowledgeable in open-source, web and mobile technologies
- Experience in Agile methodology a plus
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.