Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is present in North East Syria, focusing its interventions on emergency and early recovery programming. With funding from United States, United Kingdom, European and UN donors, Mercy Corps has been able to work together with communities in North East Syria to respond to displacements of IDPs and refugees, to provide emergency inputs and to support livelihoods.
The Procurement Manager for North East Syria shall provide leadership for Procurement functions and teams of the North East Syria with expansion of programmatic area and portfolio. The Procurement Manager will work closely with the North East Syria leadership (Area Director of Operations) and the Syria Director of Operations to ensure an effective, efficient and results-driven Procurement team while contributing to effectiveness, efficiency of Mercy Corps NE Syria procurement activities and ensuring that Mercy Corps /Donor rules, regulations and mandatory procedures are being adhered. The duty station is in Derek, NE Syria, and shall include significant travel within North East Syria.
Strategy & Vision
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing procurement-related actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to the North East Syria strategy and portfolio changes.
- Analyze procurement team set up in each geographic area of North East Syria, while proposing adjustments where required.
- Develop the management tools necessary to ensure control, compliance and efficiency of the department.
- Analyze and proposes changes to procedures based on needs and risk management.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Recruit and train staff accordingly to guarantee a high performing and professional team is in place.
- Identify gaps and systems breakdowns and assist the Procurement team to be able to achieve the objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Work closely with programmatic leads, the NES Area Director of Operations, and the Syria country program leadership (Syria Director of Operations and Senior Operations Manager) to develop policies, procedures and team set-up better adapted to procurement for emergency programs in NES.
- Organize proper filing of the Procurement related documentation according with Mercy Corps and Syria country program standards.
- Maintain procurement tracking log and associated database or other tracking tools to ensure follow-up and analysis is updated on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Ensure that Procurement Teams around NES offices are conducting Best Value Procurement for Mercy Corps contractors.
- Assist Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Engage with program managers for the development and regular updating of procurement plans for each project, while concurrently planning quarterly procurement planning outlines for resource planning.
- Lead the implementation of market surveys.
- Ensure ongoing communication with the different departments to ensure a good planning of all purchases.
- Maintain a database of good, reliable suppliers for different categories of supplies, services, and goods.
- Ensure that Master Purchase Agreements/Master Service Agreement processes are developed, managed and maintained on timely manner and in line with Mercy Corps guidelines.
- Ensure all contracts and contractual terms are respected by supplier and Mercy Corps and respect local contractual standards.
- Remain informed, on an ongoing basis, about current and changing procurement policy updated and donor’s updates on, policies and “best practices” to ensure that current and future procurement processes are up to date.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Senior Procurement Officer (Derek), Procurement Assistant (Ain Issa) and all Procurement staff in NES
Reports Directly To: Area Director of Operations – North East Syria
Reports Indirectly To: Senior Operations Manager, Strategy & Planning, Syria Country Program
Works Directly With: NES Area Director, Area Director of Programs, Finance Manager, and all Programmatic leads and Operations staff throughout the offices
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field, masters preferred;
- A minimum of 5-7 field experience setting up and managing procurement systems with humanitarian NGOs with supervisory responsibilities;
- A demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively;
- Knowledge of donor regulations including USAID, EC, DFID regulations;
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills;
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required;
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment; and
- A demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies
The successful candidate will demonstrate critical problem-solving skills, and the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations. They will maintain strong cooperating relationships with other departments. A successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity and demonstrate ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. They will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The successful candidate will have a desire to grow and learn in one of the most interesting and complex crisis of our times. They will face challenges with a smile and light heartedness. The successful candidate will be comfortable in asking colleagues for help as well as stepping out of her/his role to assist others. The Mercy Corps team is one that emphasis the value of joy and curiosity. The team enjoys a great sense of humor and appreciates sharing meals amongst colleagues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Derek, Syria and it requires 40% travel to all program implementation sites, security permitting and as required for coordination and reporting/proposal drafting purposes. Personnel in this location are expected to follow all security protocols. This unaccompanied position will be required to reside in group housing in an austere environment. This position is eligible to R&R breaks and hardship allowance.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.