Tetra Tech International Development Services headquartered in Arlington, VA is seeking applications from qualified individuals for a Private Sector Engagement Expert for an anticipated USAID energy program project based in Papua New Guinea (PNG). This energy program will contribute to achieving the goal of electrifying 70% of PNG’s population by 2030. The PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP) will do this through strengthening of the regulator, improving financial and operational performance of the utility, introducing new off-grid electrification models, and increasing private investment in the energy sector. The Private Sector Engagement Expert will be responsible for identifying the root causes of low levels of private sector engagement in the energy sector, work closely with stakeholders to develop and implement new and innovative strategies and initiatives to remove barriers, and encourage new investments in the sector. This is a five-year fixed term appointment.
· Serves as liaison with Government of PNG (GoPNG) in planning and organizing PEP support to the development of financial mechanisms and partnerships that facilitate increased energy sector investment and mitigate risk for project developers.
· Assist GoPNG in formulating guidelines for the financial industry to promote and increase investments in sustainable energy projects, including working with other donors in coordinating PEP support.
· Establish PEP partnerships in support of shared targets and interests of USAID, PNG partners and the private sector
· Explore the feasibility of new banking and non-banking products such as non or limited recourse loans (i.e., project financing), performance and other guarantees, leasing schemes, insurance products, etc.
· Build and maintain the PEP network of partner banks andfinancial institutions in capacity building,technical review and advisory on project development
· Plan and organize training courses, workshops and coaching on financing for sustainable energy, including preparing training material and other supporting reference documents.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) required:
· Advanced degree in international affairs, policy, economics, business, management, or a related field;
· At least 10 years of experience developing governance and management tools and programs that support sustainability of programs with the private sector;
· Senior level experience in developing, managing and leading energy programs and strengthening institutions in developing countries;
· At least five (5) years’ experience working on private sector engagement and management;
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders and create and maintain effective relationships with Government stakeholders;
· Demonstrated ability to develop strategies, policy standards, protocols and guidelines;
· Strong English language skills, especially good oral and written communication skills.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.