The main responsibilities of the position holder are :
- Provide operation support to project appraisal team on the optimization of the financial structure for transactions,
- Develop and build project financial and economic models.
- Perform an integrated financial and socio-economic analysis of private sector projects.
- Conduct an independently research for potential structuring and modelling approaches in line with the Bank’s specific financial and legal requirements.
- Closely interact with Risk Mitigation Officer and other Bank’s staff in the project teams to ensure consistency with the legal and financial structure of transactions.
- Provide support during project monitoring and supervision phase including collateral valuation and impairment analysis.
- Design and deliver trainings for Investment Officers and Task Managers.
- Oversee the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team (IAMT) while supporting/mentoring junior staff.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief Private Sector Transaction Officer, the Principal Structuring and Modelling Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Draft structuring opinions, present proposed solutions for investments under consideration, clarify the pros and cons of diverse structuring options;
- Review of legal and financial terms of potential investments and transaction with a view of achieving the future secondary sale of assumed exposures to commercial investors, financiers and insurers;
- Provide structuring guidance to Investment Officers through active engagement in the presentation to clients/sponsors of financing proposals, negotiation of financing mandates, emphasizing the benefits of loan syndication and co-financing services;
- Build when necessary, financial or economic models for Bank’s transactions;
- Assist in analyzing, understanding and acquainting with financial and economic models prepared by other Stakeholders, including project sponsors/owners;
- Determine the appropriate conversion factors for linking the socio-economic constraints and financial cash flows in the models;
- Audit financial and economic models provided by project sponsors and/or other lenders;
- Conduct sensitivity analysis on financial models, in line with the bank’s credit risk policy and guidelines;
- Perform Impairment analysis : build, understand and explain the models that affect the IFRS9 Expected Loss calculation;
- Prepare training materials and organize/deliver training sessions for Investment Officers, Task Managers, IAMT and other Bank’s staff.
- At least a Master’s degree in Engineering, Finance or Economics;
- At least six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or in strategic consultancy, business development, legal and transaction structuring. Experience in an investment boutique or top advisory firm (Big 4 type) would be a strong asset
- Strong knowledge of tailored transaction structuring options for sector based investments;
- Strong Experience in investment appraisal, project finance, and/or corporate finance as well as valuation;
- Experience in finance, and accounting and financial cash-flow modelling;
- Proven ability to acquire new skills (particularly in legal, investment, risk capital, technology and innovative sectors);
- Proven ability to integrate social, environmental and economic indicators into project spreadsheets
- Capacity to adapt to the rapidly evolving needs of the Bank’s Non Sovereign Operations ecosystem.
- Knowledge of international economic development issues is not essential, but would be an asset.
- Sense of initiative and innovation in proposing solutions to client needs;
- Ability to respond swiftly to new situations and to anticipate new issues;
- Familiarity with loss forecasting models and ability to understand and explain advanced and complex calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable;
- Professional qualification (CFA, ACA, ACCA…) would be a strong plus.
- Expected loss calculation experience. Prior IFRS9 exposure highly desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.