Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This is a fixed-term assignment for a period of three (3) years. The Project Management Unit’s term will be coterminous with the Sovereign Operations Modernization Project implementation period. Thus, the initial term of PMU will be for 3 years, which may be extended depending on business needs. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position will be part of the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the Sovereign Operations Modernization Project (the Project), which is placed in the Strategy, Policy and Partnerships Department (SPD). The PMU is responsible for the overall implementation of the Project that will address the need for an end-to-end and fully integrated system under the Digital Agenda 2030. The role of the PMU is essential considering the large scale of the investment, the significance of the program to ADB’s overall effectiveness, and the requirement to coordinate and integrate the inputs from more than ten (10) stakeholder departments. The PMU will lead the Project implementation and synthesize inter-departmental efforts to ensure that the new system meets the sovereign business needs of ADB.
The PMU works closely with the Information Technology Department (ITD) on all aspects of implementation of the Project and helps ITD manage contracts with the Project’s vendors and contractors. It also closely coordinates the implementation of the Project with other departments concerned, including regional departments, Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department (PPFD), Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC), Controller’s Department (CTL), Treasury Department (TD), Office of the Secretary (OSEC), and Corporate Services Department (CSD).
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Project Specialist works in synergy with Advisor, SPD and Head, PMU and serves as the deputy project head who facilitates the overall project management function. The incumbent assists in providing leadership, integration, and management of processes and functions necessary for the timely, consistent, and efficient delivery of activities and initiatives related to the modernization of Sovereign Operations systems. In addition, he/she ensures consistent and transparent monitoring and reporting on the Project progress in support of PMU Advisor and Head’s reporting duties to the Project Management Committee (PMC), Project Steering Committee (PSC) and Executive Steering Committee (ESC).
Also designated as Change Manager, the role supports the Advisor and Head, PMU in implementing the PMU’s strategy that would direct and integrate various stakeholders’ inputs for the implementation of the Project at three levels—corporate, regional department and project.
In close coordination with ITD, the Principal Project Specialist oversees the management of the Project integration and interdependencies with other IT systems in ADB as well as the comprehensive and smooth transition from existing operation systems to new IT systems.
The position will report to Advisor and Head, PMU and may supervise National Staff.
a. Project Management and Implementation
- Provides support in supervising and managing the overall implementation of the Project, including the Project’s budget and resources, procurement, project deliverables, and implementation of plans as envisioned in the approved Business Case for the Sovereign Operations Project, and in alignment with Digital Agenda 2030.
- Collaborates and communicates with partner departments and stakeholders with respect to the Project implementation and builds effective work relationships among them and all internal and external partners.
- Manages realization of benefits from the investments made under the Project in alignment with the sovereign operations business needs.
- Works with CSD and ITD on procurement and consultant recruitment activities, including statement of work, terms of reference, evaluation criteria, and evaluation reports.
- In collaboration with ITD manages and coordinates the Project’s vendors, consultants, contractors, to ensure smooth and efficient execution of the deliverables.
- Manages daily operations and the performance of project consultants, contractors, and vendors engaged by the Project, ensuring consistent monitoring of their deliverables in accordance with agreed contracts/Scope of Work. Ensures that information on deliverables, risks, and other issues are communicated, addressed, monitored and evaluated.
- Works with ITD in ensuring that the Implementing Guidelines and Financial Control, Project Management Framework set by ITD, as well as processes and governance outlined in the Project’s Business Case are adhered to.
- Helps ITD ensure full internal integration of various components of the Project and overall connectedness and interoperability of the Project’s outputs with other IT systems in ADB.
- Ensures that business requirements are translated into technical solutions which are appropriately validated through testing.
- Facilitates smooth turnover/rollout of projects to the Business Area.
- Performs risk evaluation and review, recommends appropriate mitigating actions, and manages the implementation of these actions.
- Leads project-related issues and escalates these issues with the proposed solutions to the Advisor and Head, PMU and/or to PMC and/or PSC decision.
- Monitors and evaluates project progress and provides accurate and timely reports to the PMC, PSC, the Project’s ESC, and the Information Technology and Data Committee (ITDC) as needed.
- Leads the preparation and submission of PMU inputs to Digital Agenda 2030 and other corporate level reports, and the preparation of PMU briefing materials for the ESC, PSC, PMC; and ensures that these have clear linkages with ADB strategies and policies of the sovereign operations.
- Manages PMU’s review and provision of inputs to corporate, operational, and administrative documents, ensuring timely provision of high-quality inputs.
- Formulates annual work program for the Project and PMU and manages the monitoring of achievements of the project’s key result indicators and reporting.
- Ensures that relevant ADB procedures and practices are followed by the different project teams.
- Keeps the PMU abreast of technological developments and global trends and translates them into technical guidance to the Program/Project Sponsors.
- Commits to delivering timely and high-quality work to assist in the PMU success.
b. Change Management and Communication
- Leads the preparation of necessary change requests recommendations and inputs required for the Advisor and Head, PMU’s, for PMC and/or PSC’s approval.
- Helps Advisor and Head, PMU establish a mechanism for engagement with wider stakeholders to ensure all project requirements and specifics are clearly understood, various stakeholders’ inputs are adequately considered, and project progress is regularly communicated to the stakeholders.
- Leads the development and implementation of the Project’s communication and change management strategies and plans that maximize employee adoption and usage to minimize resistance.
- Articulates changes’ business benefits, achievements of results and outcomes to Senior Management.
- Ensures active communication and coordination among the stakeholder departments, ITD, and other stakeholders to facilitate business process review and related policy matters as well as technical requirements associated with enterprise architecture, data governance and IT quality assurance.
- Drives project-related knowledge sharing activities.
- Fosters collaboration and mutually supportive relationships and may provide coaching, technical advice, and support to the PMU members, relevant departments, contractors/vendors, and other stakeholders to boost project management capabilities.
- Represent PMU and participate in ADB-wide working groups related to the sovereign operations.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Engineering, or relevant fields; University Degree in related fields combined with relevant experience in similar organizations to ADB, may be considered in lieu of a Masters’ degree.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in development financing, preferably with a team lead role; hands-on experience in country programming, and/or project design and implementation, and portfolio management.
- Experience in operational business processes improvements, and change management.
- Familiarity with IT project management at the corporate level, and experience in IT systems for project monitoring and reporting are preferable.
- Experience in large-scale program and project management.
- Experience in working with external suppliers and outsourcing support work.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in high-value procurement and consultant recruitment and contract management including implementing multiple vendor products and integrating the new solutions to the existing production environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in preparing and presenting business cases, both orally and in writing.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship and management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate.