Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Cambodia Resident Mission (CARM) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. CARM is responsible for country partnership and strategy, policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Cambodia.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Portfolio Management Specialist will assist the Country Director in supervising the quality of the overall portfolio in Cambodia comprising both delegated and non-delegated projects. S/he will work closely with sector PAUs and lead monitoring of the status and progress of the overall portfolio of loans and Technical Assistance (TAs) projects in Cambodia. The position will lead the identification and execution of corrective actions to address implementation problems to improve project and portfolio performance and contribute to ADB’s goal of reducing poverty and objectives of the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS). S/he will also work with clients to improve their capabilities for project management, procurement, technical skills etc as needed to prepare agencies for larger and more complex projects and programs. As part of the country management team, s/he will also help coordinate ADB’s lending and non-lending operations with other development partners. The incumbent will report to the Country Director, CARM and will supervise National staff and Administrative staff.
• Coordinates with the Country Director, plans and oversees the implementation of the annual work-plan for the PAU team, including safeguards staff.
• Oversees the review and report on the progress of project and program implementation, compliance with covenants, achievement of contract awards and disbursement of the overall portfolio in Cambodia (both delegated and non-delegated), and achievement of desired development impacts.
• Leads country portfolio review missions (CPRM), in coordination with project administration units (PAUs) of sector divisions and project teams, engaging in high-level discussions with senior management of the government, including preparation and finalization of memorandum of understanding or aide-memoire.
• Leads and provides guidance and high-level advice to project teams and government executing, and implementing agencies for the identification and implementation of action items needed to resolve implementation issues and problems.
• Oversees administration of delegated loan and TA projects, including preparation of project completion reports, TA completion reports, and financial closure of loans and TAs.
• Leads and undertakes the required measures to facilitate project implementation and resolve implementation problems.
• Oversees the quality of project field operations, with focus on resolving issues with problem or potential problem projects.
• Leads in providing information and in-depth analyses for the review and improvement of project administration policies and practices.
• Leads and coordinates activities for the harmonization of policies and practices related to project implementation among development partners.
• Oversees knowledge building and dissemination to improve local capacity for project administration.
• Participates in and contributes to internal and external training, conferences, and development partner coordination meetings related to portfolio management and project administration.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s or equivalent degree in engineering, economics, finances, project management or other related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
• Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience including international work experience in project processing, project administration and portfolio management.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
• Strong knowledge of procurement, consultant recruitment, project management, preferably in infrastructure sector operations (transport, rural and/or urban development).
• Proven experience as mission leader, with experience in loan processing.
• Ability to provide leadership for solving difficult implementation problems, supervising complex project review missions and supporting loan processing.
• Experience in the procurement and administration of large works and goods contracts and accreditation in PASS for procurement and consulting services.
• Attitude of striving for results (meeting deadlines, solving problems, delivering Key Result Areas) and helping others to achieve results.
• Proven track record in successfully leading teams.
• Demonstrated experience in liaison with government officials, non-government agencies, technical specialists, and staff from development partners.
• Commitment to learning and change.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.