The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will be the focal point person on all issues related to monitoring and evaluation at the Department, providing technical guidance and advice to the sector and Regional Member Countries (RMCs), and supporting regional hubs on WASH interventions to adopt appropriate M&E approaches.
The position of the M&E Specialist has the following work objectives:
- Provide lead role in the measurement, management, analysis and packaging of results data and development impact on WASH for reporting and knowledge management. The function will collaborate with all units in the Department (AHWS.1, AHWS.2, AHWS.3 and AWF), other departments in the Bank, and external platforms on development progress of the Bank. The position is imperative in ensuring that M&E protocols, templates, processes, policies, systems and databases are in place, functioning properly and adhered to in the department and by the regional hubs.
- Maintain linkage of the Department and the Bank with global development and M&E platforms to demonstrate the Bank’s contribution of results data to such platforms to track the development progress in the continent towards targeted sustainable development goals relating to WASH.
Duties and responsibilities
The principal accountabilities and responsibilities for the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist are:
M&E Coordination and Collaboration:
- Coordinate M&E tasks and functions in the Department and the regional hubs, ensuring results reporting across the various sectors of the Department follow appropriate and laid down procedures and practices for data standardization and quality.
- Coordinate Bank efforts to contribute data and information to regional and global M&E initiatives and platforms such as the UN-Water GLAAS, UNICEF/WHO Joint Monitoring Program, AMCOW, and others; and represent the Bank on such platforms.
- Cooperate with other Bank Departments on issues related to measurements, evaluation and knowledge management- BDEV, SNDR, SNOQ, ECMR, ECST, among others.
- Collaborate with internal and external entities to plan and conduct evaluations and other sector studies in the Department, ensuring application of appropriate methodologies, credibility of analysis, and utilization of findings for effective decision making on upscaling, resource allocation, and systematic organizational learning.
Systems Development, Compliance, Quality Control and Reporting:
- Coordinate sector data supply into Bank’s results reporting systems and follow-up with regional hubs for consistent entries to measure progress, outcomes and development impact of the Bank’s interventions on water and sanitation.
- Oversee and manage a Department-wide M&E reporting database across the facets of the Department on WASH, ensuring regular updates as well as accurate generation of information. Ensure availability on the Bank’s Collaboration space.
- Develop key M&E guidance and lend appropriate mentoring and coaching to promote compliance and uptake in the Department.
- Provide quality control for all aspects of M&E and results measurements on the Department’s results metrics included in the Bank’s Result Measurement Framework.
- Analyze project portfolio structure and trends and report to AHWS management.
- Oversee assemblage, analysis, organization and sharing of results of the Department with other Departments and participate in preparation of knowledge products to better tell the Bank’s story.
- Participate in the drafting of AWF and AHWS annual reports and other corporate reports.
M&E Backstopping and Capacity Strengthening:
- Provide backstop to regional hubs on M&E in the generation, collation and analysis of performance data into Bank’s operations and RMF, ensuring appropriate use of M&E protocols and compliance to M&E procedures and mechanisms.
- Liaise with other units in the Bank to deliver top-notch capacity strengthening programs to Department staff, regional hubs and other stakeholders to improve M&E functions in the Department.
- Spearhead processes to integrate findings and lessons from sector evaluations into strategies and operations for increased impact of sector operations.
- Follow-up and report on progress of implementation of the actions from evaluation recommendations in the Management Actions Record System (MARS).
- Cooperate with RMCs in designing and implementing interventions to strengthen country WASH M&E and improving coordination amongst stakeholders.
- Assist project teams in the design and management of M&E systems’ interventions.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Statistics, Development Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development, Development Economics; or related disciplines.
- At least six (6) years of experience in the position of M&E in a development organization, including an international NGOs, donor organization or a reputable organization/institution working in core areas of water and sanitation.
- Demonstrable sound knowledge of M&E methodologies and approaches in the global development arena particularly in the area of water and sanitation systems.
- Knowledge of M&E systems and procedures, particularly in relation to donor requirements and reporting on water and sanitation.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Good oral and communication skills, including writing and editing technical development reports. Ability to communicate to influence, motivate and change behavior, by inspiring to create enthusiasm for right work approaches.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of the standard Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and SAP; and in database management.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS AN INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.