IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org
The Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Services (MAS) Industry Group plays an important role in supporting IFC’s strategic priorities, covering investments in the manufacturing, agribusiness and services (i.e. health and education plus tourism, retail and property) sectors. MAS sectors play a critical role in providing goods and services to consumers; addressing core needs, creating jobs, contributing to government revenue and stimulating growth. In IFC’s client countries, these sectors can account for as much as 80% of overall economic activity in a given country.
IFC’s MAS group covering Eastern and Central Europe is seeking to recruit a Principal Investment Officer (PIO) to work in IFC’s Vienna office. The position will call primarily for leading investment activities – especially in business development (BD)/origination AND execution – in MAS sectors (Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services -Health, Retail, Property). Investment activities will also include portfolio work on investment transactions and in maintaining high level relationships with key MAS clients in the region. The PIO will play a supporting role on the Upstream work, which entails developing proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design initiatives aimed at identifying investment opportunities and developing projects leading to creating a robust pipeline for IFC investments.
The candidate will have a proven track record as a project leader of multidisciplinary teams and professionals who have expertise in the region and/or MAS sectors (i.e. industry specialists, investment officers and analysts, lawyers, insurance, corporate governance and environmental and social specialists). Experience with various sponsors/investors/clients, as well as varying investment products (senior secured loans, mezzanine and/or straight equity, bonds, risk sharing facilities etc) will be important.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Playing a senior, client leadership role for the MAS Eerope team with foreseen responsibilities for business development in manufacturing and other MAS sectors;
• Establishing important sponsor and other stakeholder relationships the region;
• Developing a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge;
• Supervising a commensurate number of MAS investment projects in the ECA region
• Working closely with relevant country managers and country officers- joint work to include developing client, sector and/or regional strategies and support related promotion work, including targeting potential investments and policy advisory work;
• Providing leadership and quality control in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.;
• Developing innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions, bearing in mind immediate investment opportunities for IFCs mainstream investments as well as longer term upstream initiatives which will lead to mainstream investments;
• Executing IFC s project development investments and/or upstream projects with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects;
• Leading negotiation/documentation teams by applying/using strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions;
• Building and maintaining strong relationships with local clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities;
• Mentoring and developing junior staff (i.e. analysts and more junior IOs) in the Vienna office and Europe region more broadly;
• Coordinating closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact
• MBA or equivalent qualification;
• At least 12 years of experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments in the manufacturing and other sectors;
• Sound communication skills in English; Fluency in other regional languages will also be given special consideration;
• Strong credit skills backed by references;
• Strong business development and client relationship skills, demonstrated by a track record that includes securing mandates, and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively;
• Willingness to travel extensively;
• Financial skills demonstrated ability to structure a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity;
• Strong record of portfolio management of complex projects;
• Knowledge of overall MAS industry sector trends, experience in MAS, emerging markets will be plusses;
• Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners;
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials;
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds;
• Proven ability to mentor junior investment staff;
• Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards;
• Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
|Closing date:||August 17, 2021|