The Principal supports and expands the activities of the Bank in the area of climate change, resource efficiency technologies and related investments, through the identification and the development of dedicated projects and project components, innovative financing schemes and new partnerships and initiatives in order to align investments consistent with Low Carbon Pathways aligned with the Paris Agreement.
Reporting to the Direct Finance Unit Lead, the Principal is based in London and takes a leadership role on direct investment projects, policy dialogue activities, and capacity building, specifically providing technical expertise, in addition to substantial knowledge of the banking life cycle.
The Principal may be required to travel extensively to visit clients’ operations across the EBRD’s region and their role will also include elements of business/pipeline development, client management, and policy dialogue.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Work as a principal project team member at the project level to identify investment opportunities for climate and sustainable resource technologies (energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency, waste minimisation) and sustainable strategies, contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including supporting the operation leader.
- Under the direction of the Direct Finance Unit Lead, support banking teams with marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sector and countries to build reputable market contacts to develop a broad deal flow and cross selling. The principal will specifically liaise with the SME team of the Bank and support the development of green financing and advisory products targeting SMEs.
- Lead the identification and structuring of capital investment appraisals of sustainable resource investments and review the associated implementation and operational risks.
- Structure and manage outsourced assignments for technical and policy services to clients. These will include project preparation, resource efficiency and circular economy assessments and policy advice.
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank, initiate, support, and conduct selected policy dialogue projects and contribute to policy dialogue activities in a leading role or support function with local authorities and industry associations to improve the investment climate and strengthen the EBRD impact in the area of sustainable resources.
- Co-manage the EBRD ENVITECC programme (https://fintecc.ebrd.com/ENVITECC), with specific focus on the Chemicals And Waste window.
- Manage the Green Innovation Programme of the Bank (https://fintecc.ebrd.com/greeninnovationprogramme) and develop projects to be supported by the programme.
- Lead the management and development of the Turkey Circular Economy Platform (https://donguselekonomiplatformu.com/) and lead the progress on circular economy business development efforts across the Bank
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum professional experience of 10 years is required.
- Relevant degree (minimum Master Level) in a technical, engineering or science discipline, (e.g. process/chemical/industrial/environment engineering). A combination of technical and commercial skills is advantageous.
- Significant, technical and commercial work experience gained from: i) an engineering and/or consultancy organisation; or ii) a company operating in the energy, chemical, construction, or manufacturing sectors; or iii) a bank, equity fund, advisory services, corporate finance firm; with a demonstrable track record of successful project development.
- Knowledge and experience with resource efficiency technologies and practices in the industrial and agribusiness sector with a very strong awareness and interest in the innovation throughout the value chain and specifically in technologies covering energy efficiency, water efficiency, waste management, material efficiency, circular economy, process optimisation, and operation of commercial assets etc.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Paris Agreement and of the design/development/implementation of Low Carbon Roadmaps/Pathways.
- Proven track record in managing consultants and related assignments.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles (including notions of corporate credit analysis).
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, resource efficiency, circular economy, energy efficiency, technology transfer and energy.
- Experience in emerging markets, specifically the EBRD region.
- Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English are essential. Knowledge of Turkish, French, or Russian, or Arabic are of significant advantage.
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
- The ability to tackle issues and problems in a logical and practical manner.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.