Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- The GC Electric Mobility Specialist is accountable for the preparation and implementation of initiatives related to urban electric mobility, falling within the remit of EBRD Green Cities, with the objective of increasing the Bank’s impact in this area in terms of volume of financing, number of operations, coverage of sectors, energy savings and emissions reductions and, innovative financing instruments.
- The GC Electric Mobility Specialist is involved across all stages of the project life-cycle, with a focus on bringing specific technical and business expertise related to technologies and policies to improve the quality and transition impact of these projects, as well as identifying new investment opportunities.
- The GC Electric Mobility Specialist shall contribute to all aspects of electric mobility development and fleet decarbonisation at the urban level, including :
- supporting EBRD Green Cities to adopt and implement urban mobility policies and practices, including traffic management, parking policies and controls, active mobility practices, public transport accessibility, e-scooters/e-bike regulation, building on experience of leading and similar cities in electric mobility technology and transition, pathways, policies and best practices;
- assessing commercial opportunities for charging infrastructure roll-out for electric vehicles, hydrogen refuelling stations, commercial and funding models including PPP, interoperability, charging standards, operating systems, enabling technologies;
- assessing relevant hybrid technologies (in-motion charging, IMC) for the extension of electrified services from existing trolleybus networks to allow off-line running, prevalent in many countries of operation of the Bank
- assessing potential cross-overs with energy sector clients (in particular distribution network operators) for energy grid side management, fast/slow charging grid availability, load optimisation – smart charging, Vehicle to Grid (V2G) etc.
- identifying trends and opportunities for digital technology and solutions at the city level, including EV automation, smart grid and V2G, operating platforms (charging infrastructure), user service and payment platforms (MaaS -Mobility as a Service etc)
- The GC Electric Mobility Specialist shall also contribute to aspects related to national electric mobility, engaging with national level authorities where it supports urban e-mobility objectives including:
- Design of national policy frameworks, including Paris goals, NDC (national determined commitments), national decarbonisation policies and pathways, transport, road, urban plans and strategies, EV strategies, regulatory, funding incentives, market engagement policies, sector funding (eg loss of fuel tax);
- Identifying drivers of electric mobility and technology transition- economic, fuel price, market maturity, supply chains, energy supply, regulation, funding and incentives, business models;
- Assessing national vehicle fleet compositions, including private and commercial fleets, including segmentation, regulation (emissions/insurance etc), and future fleet scenarios (vehicle types, energy efficiency standards), transition needs, hard-to-abate heavy goods sector.
- Reviews and provides commentary and technical support to the GCAPs as they evolve.
- Carries out, supervises and scrutinises technical due diligence in order to appraise technical and commercial viability of projects in preparation and supports challenging projects in portfolio.
- Prepares project related documentation including writing Terms of Reference, budgets, internal Bank approval documentation (CRMs, FRMs) and donor applications etc. providing relevant technical input as necessary. Offers up and develops meaningful TC’s that deliver the Bank’s reform objectives
- Leads by example, bringing new ideas, innovations and concepts into implementable projects, policy dialogue and business strategies covering topics such as digitalisation, GET2.1, Paris Agreement alignment etc.
- Develops wider sphere of influence across banking departments and is actively engaged in external forums, associations, that are aligned with the banks current and forward interests
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Master’s degree preferred (engineering, economics, management, urban planning, energy, environmental) and/or relevant experience applicable to electric mobility, electric vehicle or related eco-system
- Relevant experience in development or implementation of urban sustainability policies, including engagement with multilateral, governmental, city or civil society organisations, or development finance institutions
- Understanding of the urban sustainability, energy, environment and development challenges in the EBRD region or similar environments
- Computer literacy, in particular with understanding of modelling and use of Excel.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in English and preferably in another language of the Bank (French, Russian or Arabic).
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Influencing, negotiation and relationship building skills, with both internal and external partners
- Result-oriented, self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
Experience and knowledge
- Extensive experience in Electric Mobility and Electric Vehicles, including technologies, policies, industry and market practices, sector reform and regulatory aspects, within the context of sustainable mobility goals, climate change, transport policy, EV, digitisation, road safety and logistics.
- Strong experience in preparation of electric mobility projects (pre-investment studies), including strategic, feasibility and due diligence studies, preferably including assignments for EBRD and/or other international financing institutions
- Experience in application of e-mobility within urban context, including residential and street charging, commercial models and practices, city mobility policies and regulations
- Familiarity with role and requirements of EBRD and/or other international financing institutions
- Project management skills. Proven track record as team manager for project preparation or implementation tasks, consulting and advisory and/or policy development.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles.
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, transport reform, accessibility, road safety and energy efficiency.
- Experience and familiarity in working within multicultural projects and teams
- Experience in emerging markets, notably SEMED, central and Eastern Europe and/or the CIS
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.