Reporting to the Direct Finance Unit Lead, the Principal contributes to direct investment projects in the corporate sector, dedicated policy dialogue and capacity building activities, specifically providing technical/business expertise in the definition and execution of such activities within the banking life cycle.
The Principal will be required to travel to clients’ operations across the EBRD’s region when this is permitted again. Their role will also include support to business/pipeline development, client management, policy dialogue, and implementation of dedicated donor funded programmes.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Work as a team member at proect level to identify investment opportunities for climate and sustainable resourcse technologies (energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency, waste minimisation circular economy), contrivuting to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including supporting the operation leader
- Under the direction of the Direct Finance Unit Lead, support banking teams with marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sectors and countries to build reputable market contacts and contribute to the creation of a braod deal flow.
- Under the supervision of the Direct Finance Unit Lead and other senior members of the E2C2 team, lead the identification and structuring of capital investment appraisals of sustainable resource investments and review the associated implementation and operational risks.
- Contribute to the structuring and management of outsourced assignments for technical and policy services to clients. These will include project preparation, sustainable resource audits and policy advice with a critical of developing and executing Low Carbon Pathways.
- Under the direction of the Direct Finance Unit Lead, contribute to the related transaction due diligence processes ensuring they meet the Bank’s standards. This will also include support in monitoring project implementation with respect to the sustainable resource initiative components.
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank, support selected policy dialogue projects and contribute to policy dialogue activities in a lead and/or contributing role and/or support function with local authorities and industry associations, to improve the investment climate and strengthen the EBRD impact in the area of sustainable resources.
- Support the provision of relevant information or documentation, towards efforts to procure grants and technical cooperation funds to complement investment projects or required as part of policy dialogue effort.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Relevant degree (minimum Master Level) in a technical, engineering or science discipline, (e.g. process/chemical/industrial/environment engineering). A combination of technical and commercial skills is advantageous.
- Significant technical and commercial work experience gained from: i) an engineering and/or consultancy organisation; or ii) a company operating in the energy, chemical, construction, or manufacturing sectors; or iii) a bank, equity fund, advisory services, corporate finance firm; within a period of 5-10 years and demonstrable track record of successful project development/deployment.
- Knowledge and experience with energy/resource efficiency technologies and practices with a very strong awareness and interest in the related issues (energy efficiency, water efficiency, waste management, process optimisation, materials efficiency, circular economy and operation of commercial assets etc.)
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Paris Agreement and of the design/development/implementation of Low Carbon Roadmaps/Pathways.
- Experience in managing consultants and related assignments.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles (including notions of corporate credit analysis).
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, resource efficiency, energy efficiency, technology transfer and energy.
- Experience in emerging markets, specifically the EBRD region.
- Computer literacy and excellent written/oral communication skills in English are essential. Knowledge of French, or Russian, or Arabic are of significant advantage.
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in verbal and written formats, appropriate to the audience at the time and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
- The ability to tackle issues and problems in a logical and practical manner.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.