The Principal Evaluation Manager is a key member of the EvD team tasked with delivering quality evaluations in a timely manner and provides support to the Department on a wide range of strategic, policy, and operational matters. The Principal Evaluation Manager contributes effectively to a variety of EvD products, services and activities, guided by and applying EvD’s mandate and strategic vision.
The Principal Evaluation Manager: (i) works with the team to design the evaluation approach papers and select the methods and approaches that are most adapted to the objectives of evaluation; (ii) engages with operations and board members as needed and conducts desk and field work in the EBRD Countries of Operations (COOs); (iii) draws key lessons from evaluations and their implications for improving development effectiveness and provides recommendations on key issues for Management action; and (iv) participates actively in dissemination and outreach events and activities to share the evaluation findings, lessons and recommendations with internal and external audiences.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- In line with the EvD work program, guidelines and protocols, the Principal Evaluation Manager contributes and/or prepares complex operations evaluations related to, but not limited to, topics of green finance and digital finance by using appropriate independent research, analysis and other evaluation tools.
- The Principal Evaluation Manager stays current with developments in the evaluation field and provides strong expertise in (either one or both of) the followings:
- Green Finance – It may include alignment to Paris Agreements, integration of financial risks and opportunities from climate and environmental factors into mainstream financial decision making, financing green and finance to support the delivery of the clean growth, resilience and environmental ambitions.
- Digital Finance -– It may include a variety of products, applications, processes and business models that have transformed the traditional way of providing banking and financial services contributing to bringing down national barriers and spurring competition in areas such as online banking, online payment and transfer services, peer-to-peer lending, and personal investment advice and services.
- Prepares validations of project/program, contributes to the quality assurance of validations of self-evaluation reports on EBRD operations and provides comments on draft evaluation reports and EBRD operational documents according to his/her skills and specialisation.
- Contributes and/or prepares systematic reviews, synthesis notes, topical papers, working papers and other evaluation products, with focus on green finance and digital finance and contributes to joint evaluations on select projects with other IFIs and development partners.
- Plays a key role in disseminating evaluation findings and promoting learning from evaluations and leads/ contributes to evaluation training sessions with Management and represents EvD in Management training programmes.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Chief Evaluator and or Deputy Chief Evaluator or duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan, including providing guidance to and managing EvD staff and selecting and managing consultants by ensuring delivery of their work of high standard and in accordance with specification.
- Contributes to a positive and harmonious work environment, observes EBRD behaviour competencies standards, engages productively with both senior and junior colleagues and represents the department in internal and occasionally external events/ fora.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent- in business finance, business administration, statistics, development studies or related fields. University degree in any of these fields, combined with specialised experience in banking and/or international and/or development organisations, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree;
- At least 8-10 years of relevant experience in finance, with a focus on green finance related operations and/or digital finance, including 5+ years of relevant experience in project, sector and country/regional operations and/or development work and outreach in developing and transition countries;
- Demonstrated experience in policy reform, and application of debt, equity and guarantee instruments to meet development/transition goals and in-depth expertise within specific dimensions of green finance and/or digital finance or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area;
- Knowledge of green transition and/or digital finance issues, practices and policies in the EBRD region; relevant experience in private sector operations is preferred; credible expert in field of expertise with recognised ability to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader EBRD community;
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative analysis is required; aptitude toward applied research and/or preparing evaluations and experience in conducting regional/country/sector/project-level analysis including operational, economic, social and technical aspects, institutional and policy analysis and reforms, macroeconomics, economic and financial analyses;
- Ability to manage and deliver effectively on multiple complex and diverse tasks; and ability to work flexibly and independently in virtual environment;
- Capacity to work as a team contributor and ability to learn and perform effectively as a team leader, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary unit; coach or mentor team members;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English; working knowledge of another language relevant for the EBRD work would be a plus (i.e. French, Russian, Arabic); highly developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to adapt sensitively to the Bank’s multicultural environment and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues based on professional respect and credibility;
- Demonstrable skill with Microsoft Office products and databases; skills in Tableau, Internet content management systems, MaxQDA and similar products would be a plus.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.