The job of Principal Enterprise Development Officer which reports to the Manager Industrial Development is key to the Bank’s contribution to developing an effective support structure for enterprise entry and expansion, with particular focus on Small and Medium size Enterprises (SMEs). The key objective of the job is to increase lines of credits to SMEs, provide technical assistance to SME-focused entities, and facilitate and implement linkage projects in the Bank’s relevant private sector investments, to connect SMEs to larger and more established businesses. The Principal Enterprise Development Officer is responsible for the implementation of flagship # 4 of the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy aimed at promoting and driving enterprise development, especially SMEs. This would include scaling-up investment and financing to lend to SMEs, Technical Assistance support to strengthen SME-focused entities, and linkage projects between SMEs and large projects or established companies.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Manager, Industrial Development, the Principal Enterprise Development Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Scale-up investments and financing to lend to SMEs by:
a. increasing portion of Lines of Credit (LoCs) that benefit to SMEs in early stage – “Starting and Growing a Business” (SGB) phase;
b. scaling-up the size of the existing SME program through increased LoCs to local financial institutions to reach USD 40 million (vs. 10 million in 2015);
c. investigating the feasibility of deploying Venture Capital equity investment benefiting SMEs;
d. streamlining the approval process to take ~6 months; and
e. reviewing and setting-up KPIs aligned with objectives (e.g. SMEs beneficiaries in SGB phase).
2. Provide technical assistance support to strengthen SME-focused entities by pooling together existing resources (SME program, Fund for African Private Sector Assistance, Africa Fast Track Initiative), and scaling-up technical assistance to SME-focused entities, including financial institutions and incubators.
3. Link SMEs to large projects and established companies by:
a. developing an attractive operating framework to efficiently partner up with large enterprises;
b. scaling-up linkage projects and introducing them in relevant Private Sector operations;
c. strengthening the existing bid-platform to connect SMEs to major enterprises, across Africa.
4. Develop and roll out a streamlined approval process for SME support projects.
5. Develop an operating framework to partner with large enterprises to execute linkage projects.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in economics, finance, business administration and/or related fields.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant work experience working in the field of SME-development.
3. Experience in the field of SME finance and related issues with demonstrated ability to engage on a range of issues in developing countries including advice on both SME development and funding.
4. Track record of achievements ideally in collaboration with Regional Member Countries (RMCs), Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and other development partners in the field of SMEs development.
5. Exposure to, or knowledge of, Bank’s existing SME Program, Fund for African Private Sector Assistance (FAPA), Africa Fast Track Initiative (AFTI) is desirable.
6. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
7. Client focus and commitment to results.
8. Team player with good problem solving and analytical skills, with an ability to execute the tasks timely and effectively.
9. Strong interpersonal communication skills with an ability to interact with a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
10. Work independently under general direction of the Division Manager and guide operational staff in the regional hubs.
11. Deep technical knowledge in SME development as demonstrated by successful work experience.
12. Sound analytical, organizational, project management and negotiation skills and the ability to conduct training and workshops/seminars.
13. Strong SME finance experience in the industrial and services sectors.
14. Recognized by peers for providing high quality, pragmatic advice to internal and external clients on SMEs development.
15. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
16. Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG