Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Energy Specialist will provide advice and guidance on energy sector policies and strategies, conduct project development and processing, lead implementation of loans and technical assistance projects (TA), support regional energy cooperation and integration efforts and lead knowledge management activities. The incumbent will report to Director, SAEN and may supervise national and administrative staff.
- Conceptualize development strategies and develop road map for the energy sector in South Asia Region, in consultation with relevant Government agencies and country resident missions.
- Conduct policy dialog and advise Governments on energy sector’s reforms to ensure efficient use of resources and encourage private sector participation and lead discussions with Governments and identify investment opportunities in the energy sector for sustainable low carbon economic growth, increasing access to energy for the poor, particularly in rural areas.
- Formulate and prepare the lending and non-lending pipeline of projects in the energy sector and lead the mission team for project processing and ensure key technical, economic, financial and safeguard issues are incorporated into project and program design in coordination with other Departments to ensure full compliance with ADB policies and procedures.
- Lead discussion with other development partners and/or commercial banks for cofinancing, and with private sector stakeholders for public-private sector partnerships.
- Supervise the administration of lending and non-lending operations to ensure timely achievement of project outputs, outcome and impact as provided in the Project Design Framework.
- Develop regional energy sector strategies and initiate regional energy projects in consultation with national and regional energy organizations and international financial agencies.
- Undertake analysis and assessment of key energy sector issues particularly in the area of clean energy technologies, and prepare reports, articles, presentations disseminated through publications, web-posting and knowledge sharing seminars.
- Mentor, advise and guide junior international staff and supervise national and administrative staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree or higher in Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering or any relevant field. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience including international work experience. Energy sector experience in South Asia will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.