What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The outcome-based approach (OBA) program aims at transforming the institution towards an outcome-oriented organization to better contribute to achieving meaningful and sustainable humanitarian outcomes for affected people.
This OBA program, co-sponsored by the Office of the Director-General and the Operations Department, aims to:
– operationalize the vision of transforming the ICRC into an outcome-oriented organization with a primary focus on operational delivery as well as
– addressing the most pressing organizational pain points identified to date.
The OBA Adviser will contribute to the achievement of program outcomes by providing technical expertise in outcome-based programming, learning, monitoring, and evaluation (including the analytics and evidence workstream), guarantee the systemic inclusion of affected people at all phases of the outcome delivery process, and ensure a partnerships mindset and approach is integrated into outcome-based delivery. They will be expected to provide design inputs into the development of operational and management frameworks in aid of outcome delivery.
Your accountabilities & responsibilities
- You are in charge of developing, drafting and finalizing the high-level technical guidance on outcome delivery (Outcome-based delivery framework) utilizing inputs from working groups, best practice, field experience, and prototypes.
- You provide technical guidance on outcome-based programming, learning, monitoring, and evaluation and embed these into an outcome-based delivery framework.
- You take the lead in capacity development around outcomes-based approaches and results-based management.
- You integrate the Accountability to Affected Population and Partnerships guidelines and the principles in the Outcome-based delivery framework.
- You ensure that the Outcome-based delivery framework emphasizes the delivery of protection and prevention outcomes.
- You work closely with the OBA team and the OBA Prototype Manager to implement the prototyping strategy.
- You contribute to the overall design, development, implementation, learning, monitoring and evaluation of the outcome-based approaches in the ICRC.
- You actively engage in participatory processes at HQ, Regional and delegations levels.
- You support the implementation of the OBA communications and change management strategy and integrate the relevant aspects in your work.
- Together with the OBA team, develop the learning and evaluation tools and manage the process for gathering data on the efficacy of the proposed delivery models.
Your scope & impact
- You will contribute to all program workstreams, impacting all relevant divisions at HQ and the field.
- You work with the rest of the OBA team in HQ and the field on their workstreams and prototypes.
- You will be reporting to the OBA Program Manager and together steer the implementation of the Outcome-based delivery framework.
Your key relationships
- You’ll be the focal point for the technical guidance on the Outcome-based delivery framework.
- You’ll work closely with the program team & sponsors, the various working groups and all structures engaged in prototyping.
- You will engage and build strategic partnerships with external experts, communities of practice, humanitarian and development actors, donors and other stakeholders with expertise in outcome-based programming.
Your background, experience and personal attributes
- You have at least 10 years of experience in project management, with at least 5 years of experience in Result-based Management or other Outcome-based approaches in the humanitarian/development sector.
- You have a deep understanding, training and experience in implementing results-based management at a large-organizational scale.
- You are a solid team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a proven capacity to mobilize multidisciplinary teams and create followers.
- You have the felxiblity to addapt and work in a fast-paced, demanding, complex and changing environment.
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills.
- You’re dynamic, proactive, and just as comfortable working collaboratively as you are independently.
- You have an analytical mindset and love to take decisions based on data.
- You’re fluent in English. Knowledge of other languages is a plus.
- Type of contract: Fixed-term contract
- Assignment length: 12 months
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: ASAP
- Location: HQ – Geneva
- Job grade: C1
- Application deadline: Monday, 21 March 2022
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.