About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a full time Organizational Security Officer to serve in a key, cross-organizational expert position advising and advancing organizational security work across Internews’ programs.
The Organizational Security Officer will be a leader in advancing a community-based, Creative Commons-licensed framework for improving the organizational security of human rights defenders and independent media outlets around the world. The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to assess organizational risks and threats to civil society organizations in high-risk environments, as well as information security risk management practices. They will be able to explain complex technical subjects clearly and kindly to non-technological audiences, while maintaining and building excellent relationships with counterparts and donors in the digital security community.
This position is part of Internews’ Global Technology team. We are a 40-50 person, multilingual, multi-cultural team distributed across 11 countries. Our programs and initiatives:
- Defend and promote Internet freedom, particularly digital rights, digital safety, and anti-censorship technologies;
- Provide direct technological support tot human rights defenders and independent journalists;
- Improve private sector accountability within the area of technology and human rights;
- Lead research into how human rights can be protected in closed and closing spaces.
You can learn more about the Global Technology Program at Internews here: https://globaltech.internews.org.
This job is designed to be remote-first, and will work with colleagues and partners around the globe, although candidates seeking an office-based position should feel free to express that desire. Because of this, applicants may be located as far east as UTC +3 and as far west as UTC -6, with the understanding that their work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with the schedule of colleagues working in UTC and UTC -5 time zones. This position will experience extensive international travel (once it is safe to do so), including multiple trips to the United States.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Collaborating with the SAFETAG community of practice to advance the architecture of the SAFETAG organizational security assessment framework and lead the development and maintenance of SAFETAG documentation and best practices;
- Cultivating and strengthening relationships with international and local partner organizations to ensure that SAFETAG implementation responds to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Conducting and/or supporting security assessments of organizations and providing digital security as need to staff members;
- Serving as a collaborative, committed member of Internews’ Global Technology team.
Organizational Security and Digital Safety Expertise
- Work with project leads across Internews to integrate organizational security strategies into their programs;
- Consult and assist partners on advancing organizational security in an open, collaborative manner;
- Maintain awareness of the trends and technologies affecting organizational security, as well as emerging and established migration strategies;
- Build new content and products in support of organizational security, to include curricula for auditor training, pre/post audit support guidance, long-term sustainability guides for advancing organizational security, and donor/funding guides related to these topics;
- Help develop and coordinate new strategies for threat response with private sector actors, including platforms and threat analysis firms;
- Supervise foreign assistance programming, including subgrants, which will include strategic oversight, monitoring and evaluation to measure the impact and implementation of activities, project reports, and privacy-respectful data aggregation.
Mentoring and Training
- Perform audits with, mentor new auditors, oversee program implementation of, and train on the SAFETAG framework;
- Advise and mentor colleagues and partners on organizational security issues including post-assessment support and organizational change needs;
- Work with human rights defenders, journalists, advocates, marginalized populations and internet freedom communities to understand their needs and help craft responsive strategies and tactics;
- Capacity to work directly with communities in their own community spaces, and to maintain trust and collaboration over extended periods of time.
Events, Presentations and Writing
- Engage in and present at regional and international events;
- Support events and partner meetings;
- Write, and support partners in writing content and blog posts on organizational security issues
- Review Country Risk Assessments
- A strong, ethical, transparent and community-focused approach to work;
- Ability to travel internationally (once it is safe to do so);
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Experience leading organizational security assessments
- Experience with the SAFETAG organizational security audit framework
- Experience risk/threat modeling and working with individuals on pragmatic solutions
- Experience building or implementing building mechanisms to provide long-term safety support for individuals and organizations
- Contributions to the organizational security or digital safety communities through creation, sharing, and/or review of documentation, guides, curricula, etc.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a shifting workload
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Professional-level fluency in English
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe.
- Experience providing digital security trainings and ToTs
- Relevant experience in information security education, operations, assessment, and response, such as CERT, or threat analysis
- Demonstrated ability to use git version control
- Comfort with HTML/CSS, markdown, and static site generators
- Experience living and working outside of the United States, Canada and Western Europe
- Understanding of cross-cultural concerns in working with people around the world
- Demonstrated understanding of gender-sensitive programming and approaches to civil society engagement
- Proficiency in at least one language other than English
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.