The Operations Officer (OO) position is based in Bangui, Central African Republic with primary responsibility for supporting the Country Manager, Country Director and Country Program Coordinator (CPC) with respect to the performance of the existing portfolio, including a substantial trust fund portfolio, and ensuring its strategic alignment with the CPS. The OO supports the CM, CD, CPC and the Program Leaders to conduct country-specific monitoring and reporting on the existing lending and TF portfolio, and to identify and resolve country-specific implementation issues The OO maintains up-to-date information on portfolio performance (IDA, IBRD, and trust funds) for Central Africa Republic in close collaboration with the CPC based in Washington. The OO is a member of the CMU Management Team that includes senior staff, which meets frequently to share information and resolve all relevant operational and administrative issues in the country office.
Specific duties include:
• Coordinates and leads the quality control of the preparation of a Monthly Portfolio Report. The report monitors lending, non-lending activities, TF, and other key portfolio performance indicators. The report is shared with the government and the Country Team. Monitors and facilitates timely delivery on various milestones during the project cycle, including with respect to project closing and reporting.
• Support the implementation Support Team (comprising of FM, Procurement and safeguards specialists) by organizing its regular meetings with project TTLs and program leaders to discuss and find solutions to the ongoing concerns and to anticipate potential future problems/bottlenecks. Follow-up with government on recommendations in close consultation with the CM, CD, CPC, and Program Leaders. Follow up on the Portfolio Action Plan as formulated in the Country Portfolio Performance Review (CPPR), with special focus on portfolio-wide actions in the areas of FM, procurement, safeguards, and M&E. Prepare the TTLs periodic meetings.
• Review, and draft comments on Implementation Status Reports for the CM
• Provides inputs to or prepares diverse operational products/outputs (e.g. country briefings, background reports, case studies, portfolio performance reviews, etc.). Provide continuous case-by-case support to teams and the Implementation Support Team. Interact directly with the Program Leaders on daily work program issues, and provides operational support for problem or risky operations. To the extent possible, participate in operational missions and meetings and assist teams in resolution of difficult issues.
• The OO works closely and mentor junior/ACS staff on issues of portfolio management and monitoring.
• The OO will provide support to the management team
• Review, comment on, and clear all out-going correspondence; manage in-coming correspondence.
• Provide support in the Country Strategy Implementation program
• Support the CD and CPC in implementation of the Country Partnership Strategy and provide assistance in preparing CPS Progress Report and Completion Report, particularly regarding portfolio implementation.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
• Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
• Effective verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix environment.
• Good understanding of Bank policies, procedures and system.
• Recognized by peers and/or managers for ability to identify and pro-actively solve operational issues and problems.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the CMU’s annual reporting, budgeting, and business planning.
• Ability to coordinate mechanisms to ensure efficient and effective procedures for routine workflow in the County office.
• Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Shares best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.