IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC has been investing in climate businesses for over 15 years and has committed to reaching an annual climate investment flow representing 30% of total investments by 2021-2025. As the international community contemplates how to keep warming below 2 degrees, they are looking to the private sector to provide insights into how to build more sustainable economies. Green buildings have been a growing part of IFC’s climate-related investments. To date IFC has committed over $6.4 billion in the green building sector. One key factor in this success has been the EDGE (Excellence in Design for Greater Efficiencies) Green Building Market Transformation Program (GBMTP) which includes the affordable EDGE certification system (see http://www.edgebuildings.com). For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The GBMTP is funded by several national donors, foremost of which is the UK Government. The GBMTP aims to catalyze a virtuous cycle of supply and demand for resource-efficient building construction and ownership. A main thrust of the GBMTP is to create a paradigm shift by setting a metrics-driven standard of what constitutes a green building, and to reward property developers for meeting these standards through EDGE certification. IFC works through third party certification providers to administer and confirm compliance with the EDGE standard worldwide. The GBMTP works to educate the real estate market on the value of designing and certifying their buildings as green, with the aim of promoting the rapid growth of green building stock and green building construction and mortgage finance. The GBMTP currently has teams on the ground in LAC (Colombia, Mexico, and Peru), East Asia (China, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam), South Asia (India) and Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa) and the EDGE certification is provided worldwide.
The EDGE Green Buildings Market Transformation Program (GBMTP) is seeking a Global Business Development Lead to accelerate the adoption of EDGE and to increase IFC green building investments. The Global Business Development Lead will support IFC investment teams as they pitch green building certification to their clients (particularly financial intermediaries) and also bring select EDGE clients to the attention of investment teams. To grow EDGE certification volumes, they will nurture relationships mainly with large multinationals and key influencers such as: industry associations; industry leaders; and financial institutions. The Global Business Development Lead will develop and implement strategies for growing EDGE penetration and IFC green building investment in new markets and new sub-sectors of real estate.
The position is based in Washington, D.C., with the need for extensive and frequent international travel (COVID19 circumstances permitting).
Role & Responsibilities
The position will report on a day to day basis to the EDGE Global Operations Manager. The candidate should be able to work independently and as a team player and possess excellent organizational skills. The candidate will demonstrate an excellent track record in business development and demonstrate the capacity to mentor peers and junior members of staff.
• New Business Development:
• Work with multinational groups and with national groups where local EDGE programs are not already established (New Geographies), such as Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Middle East and North Africa and some countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia;
• Execute the below activities in order to:
o increase IFC investment in green buildings in the New Geographies;
o accelerate the rate of new EDGE and EDGE Advanced project registrations and certifications for;
o provide early feedback to the EDGE team on product delivery strengths and weaknesses.
• Establish and implement a business development plan for new project types (e.g. retrofits, warehousing, social housing, light industry) and New Geographies in consultation with IFC investment teams;
• In New Geographies:
o present the benefits of the EDGE Program to new clients;
o introduce select EDGE clients to IFC investment teams;
o help IFC investment teams pitch the value of green building certification to IFC investment clients, particularly to financial intermediary clients;
• Identify target multinational entities, or national entities in New Geographies of the following types and nurture business development relationships with them:
o investors in real estate, such as funds, banks, and institutional investors;
o commercial groups such as residential and non-residential developers, hotel chains, retail chains, other major building project sponsors;
o property management companies;
o associations, industry groups, and CSOs in key sectors of real estate;
o development finance institutions;
o government mortgage finance agencies;
• Leverage the network of EDGE Experts to develop new business in New Geographies and new building sector segments;
• Support EDGE training in New Geographies;
• Assist EDGE certifiers in New Geographies to grow EDGE;
o Provide feedback and advice to the EDGE Program team in the areas of marketing, finance, certification provider management, and product (EDGE software, IT platform and certification protocols) design and delivery;
o Promote the sharing of lessons learned through frequent external webinars, and internally within IFC;
o Provide any other support to the EDGE Program team as may be required from time to time.
• Graduate degree with a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience.
• Proven track record in business development.
• Strong knowledge of building and financial sectors.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Confident public speaker.
• Experience in green buildings certification, real estate, and/or climate finance is highly valued.
• Excellent organizational, planning, and project management skills.
• Experience in developing countries.
• Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively under tight deadlines, while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills, particularly in powerpoint.
• Spoken and written fluency in English essential.
• Fluency in other languages would be a plus.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
|Country:||-- United States|
|City, State:||Washington D.C.|
|Closing date:||August 12, 2021|