IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) works through financial institutions to provide much-needed access to finance for millions of individuals and micro, small, and medium enterprises that we would never be able to reach directly. This is an important part of the World Bank Group strategy to end extreme poverty and build shared prosperity.
FIG Asia Pacific provides the strategic investment and advice needed by financial institutions to build a strong, engaged private sector and tackle the region’s most pressing development challenges. We account for about 32 percent of FIG’s Global investment portfolio, and our projects support micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs), climate-smart projects, housing, insurance, supply chains, and digital finance. We demonstrate the business case for greater financial inclusion, particularly for women and other under-served segments of the community. Our tailored advice helps clients build capacity, strengthen Digital Financial Services, and diversify and scale their product offerings. Stretching from the Pacific to South Asia, our projects are delivering on the IFC 3.0 agenda and enabling the region to fulfill its potential.
FIG Advisory in Asia Pacific leverages on IFC’s global presence, to drive thought leadership and deliver expert advice to our clients towards achieving greater access to finance in our priority markets in the region. Thematic areas of specialization include SME Banking, Microfinance, Agrifinance, Supply Chain Finance, Risk Management, Digital Financial Services, Climate Finance, Gender Finance and Housing Finance.
The jobholder will be responsible for supporting the generation and implementation of advisory engagements in the China, under the guidance of Country and Thematic leads, with the key focus primarily on Climate Finance and secondary on Digital Financial Services (DFS) in particular data analytics/Fintech ecosystems. The jobholder will report directly to the FIG Advisory Services (AS) Climate Practice Group Lead. The jobholder will have a co-supervisory reporting line to the China FIG AS Country Anchor or secondary PG lead. He/she will work with the Practice Lead to drive the Climate Finance practices across Asia, and support delivery of engagements in Asia as per FIG Asia’s expert-based model. He/she would also help migrate digital and data related experience from China to across Asia. He/she will be an integral member of the country team and will work closely with key stakeholders in supporting the delivery of the WBG/IFC country strategy.
Role & Responsibilities:
The jobholder will be a senior member of the team and responsible for generating and implementing advisory engagements in China, under the guidance of Country and Thematic leads, with the key focus on Climate Finance and Digital Financial Services.
The main responsibility of the jobholder is to identify business opportunities and lead the design and delivery of advisory service projects that operationalize country and thematic mandates, and contribute to knowledge building, sharing and capacity building. The focus would be country as well as regional and hence the job holder would actively contribute especially to Climate Finance initiatives across Asia.
The jobholder should manage the advisory projects throughout the project lifecycle, including: pre-implementation phase to identify the right partner and design the project, implementation phase to deliver the service, and post-implementation phase to monitor the performance and close the project. The jobholder should also design the project budget and monitor the expense, hire the consultants, and manage the project team. Active alignment and engagement with investment, upstream and country teams would be important.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate and support business development efforts in China in close coordination with the country teams and the regional FIG Advisory Services (AS) team.
• Support in south-south collaboration by bringing innovative practices developed in China to emerging markets.
• Support the integration with Upstream and Investment, demonstrating FIG AS’ knowledge leadership in emerging areas especially in Climate Finance.
• Lead the design and pitch of Climate Finance propositions for clients across Asia and Pacific and participate in presenting and explaining the proposal to clients.
• Lead in executing and implementing the advisory projects within the country/region and ensuring that all inputs and deliverables adhere to internal and client processes, ensuring impactful development results, with a focus on consistently high-quality delivery.
• Take a leading role in monitoring and assessing progress of strategic initiatives and recommending corrective action where necessary.
• Develop and manage budgets for projects and be accountable for delivering against established business goals/objectives.
• Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets project standards.
• Evaluate the outcomes of the program as established during the planning phase.
• Manage client expectations in terms of benefits and stay abreast of current business and industry trends relevant to Digital Financial Services.
• Generate new business opportunities for IFC Climate and Sustainable Finance. Understand IFC and its core product areas and actively assess/present solutions that deliver value to clients working in close coordination with investment and client relationship managers.
• Develop project management internal documents, including concept notes, implementation plans, project supervision reports, project completion reports, in good quality and a timely manner.
• Actively contribute, both externally and internally, to knowledge management of IFC’s Advisory activities, including capture, development and dissemination of information and knowledge, best practices, solutions, and project delivery tools in areas of expertise. This includes contribution to the Digital Financial Services and other Practice Groups.
Design and Operationalize Solutions:
• Collaborate with Client Engagement staff as well as industry specialists in the design, pitch negotiation of client solutions. Review and contribute to the development and approval of relevant project documents and client deliverables for complex projects to ensure standards and objectives within a thematic area are met.
• Participate in senior level client meetings to provide technical advice and monitor progress in implementing thematic recommendations.
• Improve the design and delivery of client solutions by incorporating global best practices and lessons from past. Partner with results team in developing appropriate theories of change and results frameworks and indicators to strengthen the development impact and sustainability of client solutions and continuously learn from client projects/ engagement.
• Ensure high quality of project supervision and completion documents and provide quality control over client deliverables. Moreover, support client in implementing the recommendations and help trouble shoot as needed.
Create and Share Knowledge:
• Identify and participate in conferences to showcase IFC offerings and value proposition, which includes serving as panelist/ moderator for internal and external events related to thematic area.
• Conduct research to shape on-going and future offerings in thematic areas, and develop new tools and guidance to incorporate internal and external best practices.
• Design and deliver training and communication strategy for Investment and Advisory staff to better enable them to be champions of thematic area, and for external stakeholders to generate interest in thematic areas and understanding of why it is important/ advantageous to businesses, business climate, community and/or economy.
• Drive strengthening the value proposition of Advisory products especially in Climate Finance through embracing new trends on digitization and partnerships.
• Help build a bench strength of experts and consultants in the thematic area across the region.
• Oversee/ supervise assigned staff and consultants.
• Develop technical capabilities of the assigned staff and members of the broader practice group team through mentoring, coaching, structured training programs and by providing on-the-job learning opportunities.
• Ensure quality control of work products and outputs. Set a leading example in contributing meaningfully to periodic calls with the Practice group and help institute a process to govern delivery quality.
• Determine resources needed to support projects and ensure efficient/ effective use of resources.
• Manage project budgets and align staffing needs.
• At least a master’s degree, with a strong background in International
• At least 12 years’ experience working with the financial sector. Having led
• At least 5 years of deep experience in a climate Finance and digital
• Should have a successful track record in a leading role in
• Experience in leading firm-wide corporate initiatives and fintech oriented projects
• Industry/Sector Knowledge – Understanding of sector drivers,
• Market Creation – Capacity to identify barriers for market creation
• Demonstrates active listening skills by paying full attention and asking
• Ability to interact effectively with clients and stakeholders by acting
• Capacity to build productive and mutually beneficial relationships and
Writing and Presentation Skills:
• Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills to
• Ability to draft documents and reports that are concise, well-organized,
• Utilize charts, graphs, and other presentation techniques to communicate
Articulate Value Proposition:
• Able to share valid opinions and new observations relevant to project
• Ability to tailor explanations of IFC’s value proposition to specific
• Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and aptitude to learn new
• Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills plus
|Closing date:||June 21, 2021|