Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Portfolio Management Division (PSPM) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSPM is accountable for the pro-active management, reporting and review of ADB’s growing private sector debt and guarantee portfolio, including overseeing project implementation and administration as well as managing client relationships over a diverse range of sectors and geographies. PSPM is responsible for managing all risk aspects of the portfolio including credit risk, safeguards risk, integrity risk, as well as the delivery of the development effectiveness goals of projects.
PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates, and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks and private equity funds, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structures, and funds investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. PSOD’s emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB’s organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Operations Assistant will perform full administrative support and help coordinate administrative activities for the assigned unit. He/she will regularly interact, coordinate and liaise within PSOD and with other ADB departments, as well as external parties. The incumbent will report to the designated international staff.
General Administration (Calendar/Travel)
• Proactively manages supervisors’ calendars/schedules by resolving scheduling conflicts, confirming meetings in advance, updating supervisors of changes to schedules, exercising judgement in organizing the scheduling and accepting of supervisors’ meetings
• Organizes mission travel, including forward planning, by reviewing and recommending appropriate flight options, planning mission itinerary, including transport and hotel accommodation, preparing meeting schedules, inputting mission authorization requests and travel requests and timely processing of expense claims
• Ensures that appropriate arrangements and confirmations are made for all external meetings/international events including, registration, materials, logistics, location, among others
• Assists in the scheduling and logistical requirements of internal meetings
Office Matters, Mail/Written Communication/Follow-up
• Prepares a list of all incoming documents and ensure office filing systems and records are properly maintained and updated
• Reviews all incoming documents and mail in a timely manner and distribute to concerned staff and/or bring to the attention of supervisors, as necessary
Oral Communications, Internal and External Contacts
• Provides efficient administrative services by proper screening of incoming telephone calls, taking accurate messages, dealing with queries from internal/external callers to ensure they are referred in a timely manner to concerned staff
• Attends to external visitors and ensures that external visitors are appropriately greeted and escorted to meetings and/or unexpected visitors and ensures that they are referred in a timely manner to the concerned staff/appropriate party
• Ensures follow-up of specific queries
• Maintains a directory of external contacts by recording business card information
• Liaises with ADB staff inside and outside the work area, clients, and external stakeholders as required
• Performs certain standard activities such as maintaining adequate stocks of office supplies or acting as attendance coordinator, as required
• Relieves other Operations Assistants, as required
Others – Learns to use and operates specific ADB online systems; edits, layouts and submits documents for supervising staff; performs any other duties as may be required and as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan, such as retrieving files/documents for preparation of reports, providing data in excel spreadsheets and other databases, preparing PowerPoint presentations with consistent formatting and preparing tables and charts for reports, among others.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 5 years work experience
• Good computer skills and memo composition and editing skills
• Ability to manage priorities and workload within general schedule of work, instructions and standardized practices
• Ability to foresee response and implication of own outputs, and to undertake tasks efficiently
• Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
• Ability to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds
• Good analytical thinking with ability to make simple causal links, pro-and-con lists and analyses to reach a decision
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to maintain composure under pressure
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Levels 4 – 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.