Position Title: Oncology Development Coordinator – Medical Oncologist
Location: University Hospital Mirebalais, Haiti (HUM)
Immediate Supervisor: Medical Director of HUM
Program Supervisor: Zanmi Lasante Program Director
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Kazakhstan, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Zanmi Lasante (ZL), PIH’s Haitian sister organization, is a health care organization committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized in Haiti. ZL partners with local communities and the Haitian Ministry of Health (MSPP) to deliver high-quality public health care, address the root causes of illness, train the health care workforce, advance research, and advocate for increased national investments in the health system. ZL’s philosophy is rooted in sustainability and capacity building with the idea that the most powerful means of providing rights-based health care to patients is through leveraging a country’s own public health system.
Today, with a team of over 6,000 Haitians, including over 2,000 Community Health Workers (CHWs), ZL supports 13 public health facilities and is one of the largest health care providers in Central Haiti, serving an immediate catchment area of 1.2 million across the Central Plateau and the lower Artibonite.
This position is for a medical oncologist or radiation oncologist to serve as specialist clinician in provision of care for oncology patients at University Hospital of Mirebalais, located in the Central Plateau of Haiti.
The Oncologist will work with a skilled oncology team to provide high quality services to cancer patients.
- The oncologist will also play a key role in programmatic implementation of the HUM Cancer Center of Excellence
- Work as part of the ZL oncology team to provide direct clinical care, including consultative and referral support for patients with cancer.
- Training and mentoring in hematology -oncology skills and activities
- Develop program to clarify access to medicines and consumables
- Work with oncology team in implementation of quality improvement initiatives
- Work with oncology and hospital team on the development and application of policies/SOPs
- Patient tracking
- Planning oncology and palliative care services
- Focus on resident training and the development of fellowship programs and introduction of continuing education training
- Organize and coordinate team logistics, operations and support the execution of internal and external meetings and events
- Work with team in supporting team knowledge management, while developing program materials, systems maintenance, and communications to other HUM departments
- Work closely with ZL/HUM leadership teams to build relationships with the MOH and its partners and track stakeholder stewardship plans
- Represent ZL at MOH meetings, technical working groups, oncology external experts and other partnership engagements alongside senior program leadership team members
- Participate in a cross-institutional leadership role to advance the strategic vision of the University as a leader in oncology service, research and education
- Oncologist must have completed a structured postgraduate training program in Medical Oncology from a reputable institution and board certification in oncology.
- Physician with independent clinical experience as a medical oncologist with at least 2 years of experience.
- Fluency and strong verbal and written communication skills in English, and Haitian Creole or French
- Specialist qualification in an oncology subspecialty with excellent demonstrated clinical skills
- Academic track record in clinical research and application of medical ethics in clinical care and research
- Record of leadership within an academic health system with excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team
- Scholarly contributions to research, teaching and publications preferred
- Focus on teaching and communicating to patients/families without a formal education
- Knowledge of one-on-one and small group teaching skills
- Ability to work and function in a fast paced and constantly changing clinical environment