My New School on-call interpreters will provide face to face interpretation to facilitate the adjustment of newly arrived refugee students at the International Student Center. Interpreters will aide in the provision of interpretation services in the IRC’s ‘My New School’ Program. Hours are specifically 3pm to 6pm, Monday through Thursdays at the International Student Center.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide interpretation and occasional translation services for refugee students and IRC and International Student Center staff and volunteers.
- Report regularly to Refugee Student Support Specialist.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be over 18
- Good written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to fluently speak at least one of the following refugee languages (e.g. Arabic, Burmese (Chin,Matu,Rohinyga,Karen,Karenni,Tedim) Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Somali, Farsi/Dari, Spanish, French, Swahili, Amharic, Tigrinya, Nepali, Russian, Chinese, Sango, Dinka, Lingala, Oromo, Kurdish, Hindi)
- Must have reliable transportation to and from appointments at the IRC office and in the community. Driver’s license preferred
- Must be willing and flexible to work varied hours including nights and weekends as assigned
- Experience working with immigrants or refugees or in social service preferred
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Access and Word, E-mail)
- Must be well-organized, reliable, professional, detail oriented and flexible and should have strong communications skills
- Desire to work as a team member and in a multicultural workplace
- US work authorization
- Interpretation Certification preferred ( Culture Connect, US military, College/university)
- Applicant must be located within Atlanta metro (in person interaction is required)