On call interpreter will provide face to face interpretation to facilitate the resettlement of newly arrived refugees and provide a range of support services to the needs of refugees and asylees we serve. Duties include interpretation services, submission of monthly invoices, and occasional trainings. This role may include nights and weekends and contractors will be assigned on an as needed basis with no guarantee of hours.
- Provide interpretation and occasional translation services for refugees and IRC staff as needed for tasks such as greeting clients at the airport, housing orientation and home visits, school. registration, employment and social services, and medical appointments
- Report regularly to Logistics Specialist on program activities and issues of concern.
- Must be over 18
- Good written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to fluently speak at least one of the following refugee languages (e.g. Arabic, Burmese (Chin,Matu,Rohinyga,Karen,Karenni,Tedim) Kirundi, Kinyarwanda, Somali, Farsi/Dari, Spanish, French, Swahili, Amharic, Tigrinya, Nepali, Russian, Chinese, Sango, Dinka, Lingala, Oromo, Kurdish, Hindi)
- Must have reliable transportation to and from appointments at the IRC office and in the community. Driver’s license preferred
- Must be willing and flexible to work varied hours including nights and weekends as assigned
- Experience working with immigrants or refugees or in social service preferred
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Access and Word, E-mail)
- Must be well-organized, reliable, professional, detail oriented and flexible and should have strong communications skills
- Desire to work as a team member and in a multicultural workplace
- US work authorization
- Interpretation Certification preferred ( Culture Connect, US military, College/university)
- Applicant must be located within Atlanta metro (in person interaction is required)
This position pays between $13/ hr (non-certified) and $ 15/hr (certified).
Please send cover letter and resume to steffani.bentley@rescue .org. No phone calls please.