To support the Bank’s needs for communication on official, operational and Public Information Policy-related matters in French (one of its four working languages). The role also ensures the systematic and efficient management and monitoring of translation requests, using outsourced and in-house translators and coordinating the French translation of flagship publications. In addition, the Officer, French Language provides support to the French Reviser in managing the workload of the French section and in ensuring that the French translations meet the quality and timeliness standards required by the Bank.
Within the Office of the Secretary General (OSG), the Language Services Unit (LSU) is responsible for the efficient provision of translation, interpretation and verbatim reporting services. The French translation section provides a key service to the Bank in meeting its need to communicate with, among others, business people, policy-makers, Government officials, economists, lawyers and civil society in its countries of operation. Working with the French Reviser and liaising with clients throughout the Bank, this role is responsible for organising the assignment of translation requests to the appropriate translator (mainly outsourced but also in-house), negotiating deadlines, providing cost estimates, monitoring job progress, and ensuring deadlines are met. The role is also key in coordinating the French translation of major publications, working closely with external translators and proof readers. In addition, the role supports the French Reviser with the proofreading and formatting of translated texts and with the compilation and proofreading of the French translation of the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- For the Annual and Financial Reports, assists with the organisation and scheduling of the French translation, working with the AR coordinator, French translators and proofreaders
- Organises the outsourcing of French Section translations, under instruction from the French Reviser, identifying the appropriate translator and negotiating with external translators and clients as necessary to ensure requests are met in a high-quality, timely and cost-effective manner
- Provides external translators with relevant reference material.
- Incorporates revisions made by French Reviser into translations done externally, checks and formats translations done by external translators, as directed by the French Reviser, ensuring that the Bank’s editorial standards are met
- Processes mailings to French-speaking Governors and Alternates.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Native French speaker with a proven experience in the professional use of a high standard of French
- Excellent written French and English
- Proven professional oral communication and negotiation skills, including with colleagues, clients and suppliers
- Demonstrated experience working with large documents, with a focus on attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Strong customer relations skills
- Highly skilled in MS Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in the field of translation or publications, is desirable
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.