The IRC is leading a multi-agency program of operational research to develop a combined protocol for the treatment of severe and moderate acute malnutrition (Combined Protocol for Acute Malnutrition Study- ComPAS). The ‘Combined Protocol’ will be piloted in two countries: South Sudan and Kenya. The IRC is recruiting a NutritionManager- RESEARCH to manage the day to day research study implementation and data collection supervision in Kenya.The research is funded by OFDA and CIFF, implemented by the IRC in Kenya and Action Against Hunger-USA in South Sudan and supported by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. In Kenya the research will be implemented in Nairobi county.
As part of the global ComPAS research team and working under the guidance and supervision of the IRC Nutrition Coordinator while working closely with IRC nutrition Specialist in HIB incharge of ComPASS , the Nutrition Manager- Research will be overallyresponsible for upervisioning of Nutrition Officers- research performing data collection at 12 health facilities in Nairobi County. S/he will work closely with the Nutrition Research Officers team to ensure high-quality quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting of research study data by training and supervising Officers on treatment and study protocol and implementation as well as building their capacity for critical-thinking research skills and use of mhealth data collection tools. The Nutrition Research manager will provide both on-site and remote supervision through on the job training and coaching and performing data audits to monitor accuracy and maintenance of research indicators. S/he will also work closely with Officers to maintain records of ComPAS research study supply and support pre-positioning efforts. Alongside the Officers and Research Coordinator, s/he will also build and maintain strong relationships with implementing partners and MoH at the sub-county level.
Upon successful completion of the research study enrollment and data collection, the Nutrition Research Manager will contribute to the data analysis, write-up and editing, as required for publishing academic articles, briefing papers, case studies, etc.
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the ComPAS research project in line with research protocol, proposal targets and work plan timelines
- Promote strict adherence to ComPAS research protocol by stakeholders through effective communication to Nutrition Research Officers, clinic facility staff and enrolled patients
- Coordinate with Research Coordinator to develop training curricula and study implementation plans
- Act as mHealth focal point; maintain data collection and data quality management procedures at all times
- Conduct data audits based on agreed methodology(s) including surveys, process monitoring, and other rapid methods
- Coordinate with Research Coordinator, MoH and other implementing partners to ensure maximum effectiveness of the research study
- Participate in hiring and training of 12 Nutrition Research Officers; provide continuous on the job training and coaching as necessary; build Officers’ capacity to support non-ComPAS project staff (clinic staff, CHWs, etc.)
- Provide direct and routine supervision of Research Officers; monitor performance according to their job description and provide oral and written feedback in a timely manner
- Review personnel issues and concerns of research staff; determine and implement solutions, escalate issues to Research Coordinator and assist with determining and implementing solutions
- Responsiblefor day to day management including leave planning ensuring that there is proper coverage while staff are on leave
- Work with the supply chain team to develop accurate and timely supply orders
- Support Officers’ to monitor utilization of ComPAS research study issued nutrition supplies; monitor and track ComPAS assets
- Review of all CoMPASS nutrition program purchase requisitions working with the supply teams ensuring that procurement plans are in place and effectively used.
- Responsible for adequate nutrition supplies at the facilities and study cites
Monitoring and Reporting
- Using the mHealth platform and on-site audits, closely monitor research data to ensure accuracy, quality and alignment with study indicators; provide immediate corrective action/instruction to minimize error
- Attend and/or host ComPAS research project meetings
- Keep Nutrition Coordinator/Research Coordinator informed on all developments through regular reports
- Track ComPAS budget expenses and do routine budget analysis and tracking of expenditure
- Ensure expenditures are timely and in line with donor expectation and guidelines
- Perform any other duty as directed by the supervisor
Key Result Areas:
- Successful implementation of ComPAS research study as per the proposal targets and work plan timelines
- Capacity building of Research Officers; promotion of critical-thinking research skills and culture of responsibility and detail-oriented work among officers
- Accuracy of ComPAS research study data as per the research data collection protocols; collection, input, and analysis
- Timely supply and/or pre-positioning of ComPAS research study supplies to study sites
- Timely submission of ComPAS study related reports
- Representation of IRC at internal and external meetings, forums, presentations etc.
- MUST have a Bachelor’s degree in nutrition dietetics
- Masters in Public Health Nutrition preferred.
- MUST be a registered by KNDI
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Technical understanding of CMAM required; a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of infant and child health/nutrition care at program management level required
- Minimum 2 years in nutrition-related research, designing and/or implementing nutrition research studies or evaluations required, experience with RCTs preferred
- Knowledge in mHealth data collection software and platforms; experience troubleshooting electronic data collection issues strongly preferred
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgment and the capacity to think and plan strategically, including the ability to produce high quality implementation plans
- Excellent communication skills; demonstrated patience and effective leadership in communicating new topics to diverse audiences; experience providing job coaching or on the job training
- Familiarity with Nairobi County nutrition programs and partners preferred
- Ability to work with considerable flexibility (for example: outside business hours in urban areas)
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.