About the Opportunity
Internews is seeking a full time Network Measurement and Anti-Censorship Technologist to serve in a key, cross-organizational expert position advising and advancing work to ensure uncensored access to information across Internews’ programs.
The Technologist will play a crucial role in leading multidisciplinary response to countering censorship through rapid detection, analysis, and response to emerging censorship events by engaging with: activists and advocates on the ground; the network measurement and censorship research communities; censorship circumvention tool developers; Internews programs around the world; and private stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have existing knowledge of Internet censorship as well as effective circumvention tools and approaches, including in the most highly censored environments. All candidates should have a proven ability to learn quickly and demonstrated competency across key areas: network traffic measurement and analysis, Internet architecture, and at least a basic understanding of statistics and cryptography.
In addition, the successful candidate will be able to explain complex technical subjects clearly and kindly to non-technical audiences, while maintaining and building excellent relationships with counterparts and donors in the network measurement, censorship circumvention, and digital security communities.
This position is part of Internews’ Global Technology team. We are a ~40 person, multilingual, multi-cultural team distributed across 11 countries. Our programs and initiatives:
- Defend and promote Internet freedom, particularly digital rights, digital safety, and anti-censorship technologies;
- Provide direct technological support to human rights defenders and independent journalists;
- Improve private sector accountability within the area of technology and human rights;
- Lead research into how human right can be protected in closed and closing spaces.
You can learn more about the Global Technology Program at Internews here:https://globaltech.internews.org/
This job is designed to be remote-first and will work with colleagues and partners around the globe, although candidates seeking an office-based position should feel free to express that desire. You should apply with the understanding that work hours will need to be coordinated to align in part with those of colleagues in the UTC and UTC -5 time zones. This position will involve international travel (once it is safe to do so), including multiple trips to the United States.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities include the following:
- Respond to censorship events and coordinate internally and with partners to support tracking, data gathering, analysis of, and response to censorship events;
- Build a collaborative, adaptive community across diverse stakeholders (such as censorship management, tool development, advocacy, media, private sector);
- Advance projects focused on censorship measurement, circumvention, and supporting the anti-censorship tool development community;
- Mentor and train community members in censorship analysis;
- Write, and support partners in writing, reports, best practice guides, and blog posts on censorship, measurement, and circumvention issues;
- Engage in and present at regional and international events;
- Collaborate with colleagues across Internews to ensure our programs and projects are able to detect, support and respond to censorship; and
- Serve as a collaborative, committed member of Internews’ Global Technology team.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- An ethical, transparent and community-focused approach to work;
- Detailed understanding of the Internet’s architecture and tools to track and measure network data flows;
- Detailed understanding of common network censorship tactics and how to circumvent them;
- Comfort with a wide variety of tools and ability to adapt and learn where needed;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a shifting workload;
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment;
- Professional-level fluency in English;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at joining a supportive, skilled, multi-cultural team that is distributed across the globe;
- Ability to travel internationally (once it is safe to do so);
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
**Candidates who not not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, will still be considered.**
- Ability to use one or more scripting and/or programming languages such as Python, Go, Rust to gather and analyze data;
- Ability to automate, correlate and analyze data collection from diverse sources;
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools;
- Ability to provide trainings on censorship, measurement, and circumvention to a wide variety of stakeholders and skill levels;
- Experience living and working outside of the United States, Canada and Western Europe;
- Understanding of cross-cultural concerns in working with people around the world;
- Demonstrated understanding of gender-sensitive programming and approaches to civil society engagement.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.