The assignment is embedded in the technical cooperation project Sustainable Urban Development (DUS) that aims to improve the conditions for implementing integrated, inclusive, and climate resilient urban development in Brazil. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, in partnership with the Brazilian Federal Ministry for Cities (MCid), is implementing the DUS Project with funds from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The objective of this assignment is to improve the access of Brazilian cities to finance for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient projects. On the one hand, many cities are not using the available instruments to consolidate their budget nor do they have the credit rating necessary to access national and international funding opportunities. On the other hand, national and international financial institutions offer green financing instruments, but they lack instruments to advise cities on how to prepare and implement projects. The tasks called for in this tender shall aim to bridge the gap between cities and funding institutions, improving the alignment between investment needs in cities and financing opportunities offered by funding institutions and the private sector.
To this end, the two specific objectives are:
- Selected Brazilian cities must be enabled to prepare and implement fundable investment projects for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient urban development.
- Brazilian national government institutions (especially the MCid) must be enabled to support Brazilian cities in accessing finance for integrated, inclusive and climate resilient urban development.
The proposed Senior National Coordinator will work up to 420 expert days in Brasília, Brazil. Their task include:
- Responsible for coordinating the assignments and activities of national and international short-term experts in Brazil in close collaboration with the international team leader;
- Coordination with local partners and other relevant stakeholders;
- Day-to-day coordination with GIZ Project Director (AV) and the project team in Brasília;
- Coordination of the technical and organizational implementation of project activities necessary to achieve the objectives of the contract and the overall project, in coordination with the project lead and partners;
- Project management tasks (operational and financial planning, implementation, controlling, impact monitoring, reporting, knowledge management);
- Technical and methodological advisory to the project partners;
- Elaboration, assessment and review of concepts, reports;
- Management of consulting contracts (preparation and implementation of consulting/consultant assignments, supervision of consultants, quality assurance);
- Organization and implementation of events, trainings, webinars, workshops, etc;
- Internal and external communication and representation of project activities relevant for the objectives of the contract and the overall project, in coordination with the AV and partners vis-à-vis political actors, financial and economic sectors, and civil society.
- Education/training: University degree (master’s) in economics, finance or other relevant field of study.
- Language skills: English (C2) and Portuguese or Spanish (C1), preferably Portuguese.
- Leadership experience: 3 years of experience as project team leader in public administration or private companies.
General professional experience: 10 years of professional experience in:
- Project development, including business valuation and modelling and economic and financial evaluation;
- Public administration, including regulatory frameworks and investment program operations, evaluation;
- Credit-based finance
Specific professional experience: 5 years in one or more of the following fields:
- Urban development projects, including urban planning and finance;
- Urban infrastructure projects and/or urban management.
- Regional experience: 3 years of experience with projects in Latin America, preferably in Brazil.
- Development cooperation experience: 3 years of experience in financial development cooperation projects.
Britta Müller-Matthesius Mueller-Matthesius@gfa-group.de