With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The National Field Manager for Moms Clean Air Force will play a critical role in MCAF’s success and will be responsible for helping to manage MCAF’s field program, engage and deploy grassroots and direct advocacy tactics, and grow MCAF’s influence on local, state, and federal decision makers. This job applies knowledge of principles, concepts, and methods of project management, grassroots organizing, direct advocacy, and a strong understanding of environmental policy. The Manager will need to understand the political landscape and have the ability to help tailor messaging to advance the mission.
The Manager will need to demonstrate the ability to develop and apply strong management skills, excellent oral and written communications skills, and successfully handle and prioritize new challenges. The Manager will have the ability to work in coordination with Field Director and help manage a team that works remotely. This position holds a large range of influence on both external stakeholders and within the organization. Additionally, this position helps to manage the work routines, breadth of work, and the programs of the MCAF field team, plus help to manage MCAF’s direct advocacy work.
- Work with Field Director or Senior Director in developing and overseeing the execution of legislative and campaign strategies that advance the mission of Mom’s Clean Air Force (MCAF).
- Help to manage relationships among external partners including federal, state and local government officials to ensure a visible presence for MCAF and goals for success are solution-oriented, actionable, and timely.
- Manage MCAF’s field organizers and volunteers in 19 plus states by overseeing field budget and schedules for work being carried out externally and internally, developing work plans, negotiating partnership agreements, and scopes of work, identifying and procuring necessary resources, project work and deliverables.
- Participate in developing and deploying new tactics for engaging MCAF members in direct advocacy.
- Refine and maintain key indices to measure project success.
- Participate in communications efforts, field work, evaluation of and recommendation of new project ideas, disseminate and communicate project results.
- Manage and launch media campaigns in various media markets including earned media, generated media materials, press events, and digital marketing campaigns.
- Encourage, support and grow volunteer engagement across the MCAF field program.
- MCAF is a small and nimble operation, so this person will be an influential team player to a dynamic project.
Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
We are seeking an experienced manager who is a policy expert (national, state and local) and is able to communicate effectively MCAF efforts to policymakers and achieve results. A high level of demonstrated leadership and strong managerial skills is vitally important.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 6 years of experience in federal and state policy within a public, consulting or non- profit sector, including a demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and external partnerships to achieve program goals.
- At least 4 years of organizing and management experience in a fast-paced environment with the ability to mobilize a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Previous experience managing research or technical projects and budgets.
- Previous experience managing budgets.
- Previous experience in community organizing and volunteer management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, particularly the ability to communicate to large audiences, including public speaking, giving presentations and responding to media requests.
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment, and successfully handle and prioritize diverse, simultaneous tasks. Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Ability to travel 25% of the work time required.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.