Title: National Director
Div/Dept: National Office
Location: Philippines Office
Reporting Relationship: Regional Director
This position is open to Filipino nationals only.
ChildFund exists to help deprived, excluded and vulnerable children have the capacity to improve their lives and the opportunity to become young adults, parents and leaders who bring lasting and positive change in their communities. We promote societies whose individuals and institutions participate in valuing, protecting and advancing the worth and rights of children. ChildFund has served children in the Philippines since 1971 by improving access to learning opportunities, nutrition, water and sanitation, health care and more.
The National Director (ND) is responsible for providing overall vision and strategic leadership to the Philippines program. The ND is also responsible for the operational health and performance that supports the mission and strategic direction of the organization and acts as a resource to other national offices, the regional team and the organization as a whole based on areas of expertise.
Strategic Leadership in programme Management
• Accountable for strategic plan development, including implementation of annual operating plans and related outcomes
• Responsible for providing leadership for organization’s program through strategic alliances, learning, research and documentation
• Contribute to regional and organizational wide initiatives to support achievement of core intent and outcomes and evolution of ChildFund
• Provide leadership in acquisition of resources and their proper use in pursuit of quality programs for children and other key stakeholders
Representation and Networking
• Ensure the organization is recognized by stakeholders (e.g., local government authorities, donors, partners, other NGOs, the media, etc.) as a strong child development organization and a credible organization on issues related to children
Resource Acquisition, Planning and Management
• Build and expand national office’s portfolio through the development of networks and initiatives that further the organization’s reach and impact for the well-being of children and their communities
• Resource planning and mobilization, budget development, human resource, programs and overall management of the country’s operations
• Ensure optimal financial, human and physical resource allocation and management and quality standards, for successful implementation of the country’s and organization’s strategic plan and mission including monitoring and reporting on progress
• Ensure a smooth and optimized working and enabling environment across the various departments that will enable excellent team work and contributions for a high performing team
• Responsible for implementation of measures to ensure compliance to internal and donor policies and regulations and to protect assets and resources
Skills and Experience required
• 10+ years of direct experience as a development professional leading and managing development programs at a similar management and senior level
• Experience in emergency programs, and/or community development
• Experience in developing and managing institutional grants and contracts
• Proven ability to address external resources acquisition to further ChildFund International’s mission and country strategy
• Proven track record of strong management skills with complex programs
• Working knowledge of key programmatic areas such as: health, education, child protection, including civil society strengthening and disaster management
• Sound understanding of integrated development issues and the ability to conduct a critical analysis of issues (e.g., structural causes of child poverty)
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English
• Ability to grow/develop a development agency by attracting local and international resources and building alliances
• Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues
• Ability to pragmatically solve problems, plan a course of action using analytical, conceptual, strategic and forward thinking abilities to achieve positive results
• Demonstrated experience in such areas as: project management, finance and budgeting and human resource management
• Strong leadership skills in such areas as: fostering teamwork; developing and motivating others; managing change; conflict management, etc.
• Strong visioning, strategic planning, and implementation skills
• Ability to work proactively and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines
• Ability to lead and support innovation and organizational change to improve the organization’s effectiveness; helping others to successfully manage organizational change and transitions
• Ability to recognize, react and adjust to rapidly changing conditions and to lead and direct resources appropriately direction with cohesiveness and a sense of urgency
• Bachelor’s degree in community development, social science or other relevant discipline required. Advanced degree is a plus.