Project: 00119781 Climate Promise – Seychelles
National Consultant (Youth and Gender Engagement) under the Climate Promise Initiative for Seychelles
UNDP is launching its Climate Promise Initiative (CPI) to provide necessary financial and technical support to selected countries to enhance their NDCs making them more ambitious and realistic, at the same time. Small island development states are among the countries prioritized for getting support within the UNDP CPI.
The UNDP CPI is designed to provide support along five service lines:
- Build Political Will & Societal Ownership at National/Sub-National Levels,
- Review, Align & Update/Enhance Current NDC Targets, Policies & Measures,
- Incorporate Additional Sectors &/or GHGs,
- Assess Costs & Investment Opportunities, and
- Monitor Progress & Strengthen Transparency.
Seychelles has been selected to receive support within the UNDP CPI. To support the country in enhancing its NDC to make it more ambitious and facilitate implementation of the CPI in Seychelles, UNDP is hiring a National Coordinator of the Climate Promise Initiative for Seychelles.
Objective of the Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to ensure effective implementation of the UNDP Climate Promise Initiative in Seychelles (CPIS) with delivery of all the intended outcomes and outputs in accordance with the approve CPIS work plan and detailed annual work plan within the approved budget. The assignment involved provision of technical and expert support to the Seychelles Government in reviewing and updating the Seychelles Nationally Defined Contribution document (NDC) and adding new relevant sectors as agreed with the Government.
The National Coordinator of the Climate Promise Initiative for Seychelles will be based on Mahe, Seychelles. He/she will work under direct supervision of the UNDP Seychelles Programme Manager based in Seychelles as well as the Office in Mauritius and in close cooperation with the Ministry of Environment, Energy and Climate Change (MEECC) as the lead government agency on Climate Change and also collaborate with other national and international partners involved in the development of the new Seychelles NDC. Close collaboration will also be maintained with the UNDP regional Service Centre that will provide technical backstopping. He/she will work closely with the Communication Specialist based in the office in Mauritius to develop necessary knowledge and communications products as per the CPIS work plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Youth and Gender Engagement Specialist is expected to take a leading role in providing stakeholder engagement services in the review nd update of NDC in Seychelles. The main duties and responsibilities are as outlined below:
- Supporting national and sub national conversations around the Seychelles NDC at the national level including the private sector, civil society organisations, youth and women.
- Build citizen and stakeholder awareness about the NDC commitments and the climate change crisis and the necessity to raise the level of these commitments.
- Develop a Citizen’s Charter to provide support for a Government and Citizens’ climate action accountability mechanism to ensure ambitious climate change policy and action whilst promoting youth, women and key stakeholder groups engagement in climate action campaigns and accountability mechanisms in particular for monitoring NDC progress;
- Conduct an analytical study on the relationship between Climate Change, Youth and Gender and formulate recommendations on how to engage youth and women in CC related actions.
- Keep records of stakeholder meetings; materials used for stakeholder engagement;
- Maintain close collaboration with stakeholders throughout the duration of the consultancy;
- Provide assistance to National Coordinator in organising and conducting validation workshops
- Conduct Workshops/or focus group discussions and surveys to obtain relevant information for the assignment as may be required.
- Use Mission1.5 gamification tools to reach out to wider stakeholder community for better understanding of climate change issues.
The duration of the contract will be for 50 days worked within a period of 6 months from September 2020 until February 2021
Home based (Seychelles)
Submission of Application
Applications should be sent through email : firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday 21st September 2020 – 16:00 hours Seychelles time (GMT+4)
Annex A – Letter of confirmation of interest and availability and Submission of financial proposal
Annex B – Model Contact IC
Annex C – UNDP GCC IC
Annex D – P11
Terms of Reference