Lao PDR submitted its Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) to the UNFCCC for the October 01, 2015 deadline, stipulated for countries wishing to be included in the Global Synthesis Report for the UNFCCCC Conference of Parties (COP 21) in December 2015. This project is specifically designed to build on the INDC work completed and to support its implementation and follow-on actions after UNFCCC COP 21. The project is in line with the GEF’s climate change mitigation objective CCM3 under GEF-6: Foster Enabling Conditions to Mainstream Mitigation Concerns into Sustainable Development Strategies.
The purpose of this role is to provide expert support to the Government of Lao PDR to implement its Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC). The International INDC consultant, Lao PDR will work with the INDC Focal point in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) and National technical consultants to meet the overall INDC project aims:
1. To identify and support implementation of Lao PDR’s contributions to the post-2020 global climate agreement (Intended Nationally Determined Contributions – INDC);
2. To strengthen Lao PDR’s engagement in the UNFCCC negotiation process leading to the post-2020 agreement.
The Consultant will carry out the tasks under the overall supervision of the INDC project Manager based at the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. The assignment will take place in Vientiane, Lao PDR in Six (06) months period starting as soon as possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. The National Consultant will work with and under the guidance of an International Consultant and the DDMCC
2. Act as a coordinator for the INDC Focal Point at MONRE, supporting international consultants and the technical working group on climate change or any other coordination mechanism used in the process
3. Provide sector–specific support for development of the NDC by working with the INDC Focal Point and other ministries which are responsible for significant GHG emission source sectors (e.g. ministries of agriculture, energy, transport etc.)
4. Collect necessary data and information from stakeholders, under the supervision of the international consultant, in particular line ministries, on: National strategies, goals and targets related to climate change (implemented and planned) Sector wide actions, i.e. policies, sectorial NAMA s, donor funded initiatives and programmes (implemented and planned)
5. Assist in the preparation of consultation workshops and co–ordination of associated meetings
6. Assist in preparation of the any other stakeholder meetings
7. Assist in the preparation and dissemination of NDC policy briefs
8. When required,attend update meetings with the with the international consultants and the INDC focal point
9. Assist with translation where required by the INDC Focal Point
10. Regular reporting to the Focal Point on activities undertaken.
Key outputs of the assignment
Following key outputs are expected from this assessment:
* Prepare NDC Implementation Action Plan;
* Organize 5 sector–specific stakeholder workshops including 1 high level workshop to support NDC implementation;
* Finalize NDC and design how to disseminate it;
* Conduct training sessions for staffs in relevant line ministries and provincial and district offices conducting the NDC;
* Analyze how to strengthen national institutional frameworks for NDC implementation;
* Identify monitoring system.
* Shares knowledge and experience.
* Plan and prioritizes work activities to meet organizational goals.
* Builds and sustains relationships with key stakeholder groups and project team.
* Conceptualizes and analyzes problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate.
* Demonstrates excellent and effective written and oral communication skills
* Demonstrate respect to knowledge and culture and religion in a multidisciplinary working environment.
* Applies the required depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise to meet job demands.
* Uses information technology effectively as a tools and resource
* Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability in taking on this type of consultancy.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
* Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
Required Skills and Experience
* PhD or Master Degree with at least 5 years working experience within the disciplines of climate change science, environmental science, geography, or natural resource management;
* Sound policy understanding of global development concerns, climate change discourse, and adaptation to climate change;
* Extensive business and information exchange contacts with national and international agencies involved in local and international studies of climate change, in general, and adaptation, in particular;
* Excellent inter–personal, communication and negotiating skills;
* Previous work experience in the country on issues relevant to the project;
* Ability and willingness to travel within and outside Lao PDR;
* Demonstrable skills in office computer use – word processing, spread sheets etc;
* Proven track record of project management and project team experience working with government, NGOs, and other key stakeholders in Lao PDR;
* Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Lao.
* Excellent written and spoken English