This evaluation will help USAID better understand whether AAMS was able to achieve its intended objectives as well as gather evidence related to AAMS’ contribution to SLS.
The purpose of this evaluation is:
- To assess the effectiveness of the results of the AAMS activity toward achieving its intended objectives in the context of the SLS APS.
- To serve as a pilot for the evaluations of two additional SLS activities that will take place in the next 1-2 years, including providing a methodological foundation and collecting data/identifying results that can inform the findings, recommendations and/or lessons learned of the later evaluations (e.g., comparisons of results if relevant).
Social Impact Inc. is seeking an individual to fill the role of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist on this evaluation. The M&E Specialist will contribute to the evaluation design and support the work on all client deliverables. In addition, the M&E Specialist will support the development of evaluation instruments and protocols. S/he will support the study team in data collection and compilation, facilitate interviews, focus group discussions, and/or surveys, and conduct data analysis. S/he will contribute to the drafting and finalizing of a final report. This is a temporary position reporting to the evaluation Team Leader (TL) and working closely with other ET members with evaluation, technical, and logistical support expertise.
- Guide the methodological design of the evaluation, in collaboration with the Team Lead
- Support the development and finalization of project deliverables, including the inception report, data collection tools, draft report, final report, and presentations.
- Support data collection and analysis.
- Maintain clear and regular communication with the TL and other team members.
Evaluation Phases (NOTE: the approximate period of performance for this evaluation will be November 2020-February 2021)
Phase 1 (Approximate LOE: 12 days): Desk Review and Inception Report
- Contribute to a desk review of documents relevant to the Activity and relevant Project/ Portfolio and conduct related research on the Syrian livelihood, humanitarian, and resilience context.
- Contribute to the development and finalization of an inception report outlining the evaluation design and methodology, including draft data collection instruments and a work plan.
Phase 2 (Approximate LOE: 22 days): Data Collection & Analysis
- Support focus group discussions (FGDs), semi-structured interviews, and/or surveys of beneficiaries and partners of the AAMS Activity in Syria as well as relevant USAID staff.
- Support the collection, cleaning, storage, and management of both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Contribute to the presentation of initial project findings to key stakeholders (USAID, project staff, etc.).
- Contribute to data analysis.
- (Note: If data collection is conducted either partially or entirely remotely, data collection strategies and implementation will be modified as needed, with the M&E Specialist supporting these changes).
Phase 3 Objectives (Approximate LOE 11 days): Report Writing
- Contribute to drafting of findings, conclusions, and recommendations matrix
- Support the preparation and drafting of the evaluation report
- Support the incorporation of feedback from the client to produce a high-quality final report for submission
- 7 years of experience conducting mixed-methods research on livelihoods, resilience, food security, market systems, and/or related fields within a humanitarian or emergency context.
- Master’s degree in international development, public policy, sociology, anthropology, social work or other relevant field with a focus on topics related to international development
- 5 years of experience conducting research in the Middle East and/or North Africa
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the Syrian context
- Experience conducting data collection with vulnerable populations
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills
- Fluency in English speaking, reading, and writing
- Fluency in Arabic speaking, reading, and writing
- Experience working with USAID as a client preferred