MONITORING, EVALUATION, AND LEARNING (MEL) MANAGER
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager
Period of Performance On/About (From – To)
End of Activity
Maximum Level of Effort
Base of Operations
Project Office, Kyiv, Ukraine
position reports to
Director of Finance and Operations
- Project Background:
The purpose of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure in Ukraine Activity is to strengthen the resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure from cyberattacks by establishing trusted collaboration between key cybersecurity stakeholders in the government, private sector, academia, and civil society. The activity aims to achieve this goal by implementing the following activity components:
Component 1: Strengthen the cybersecurity enabling environment
The legal, regulatory, and institutional framework for national cybersecurity in Ukraine needs to be strengthened and aligned with international standards and best practices. This component will strengthen the cybersecurity resilience of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure sectors by addressing legislative gaps, promoting good governance, enabling collaboration between stakeholders, and supporting cybersecurity institutions. This component will also build the technical capacity of key sectors through increased access to cybersecurity technology and equipment.
Component 2: Develop Ukraine’s cybersecurity workforce
Ukraine suffers from a severe shortage of cybersecurity professionals. This component of the Ukraine Cybersecurity for Critical Infrastructure Activity will address workforce gaps through activities that develop new cybersecurity talent and build the capacity of existing talent. These activities will address the entire workforce pipeline, the quality of education received by cybersecurity specialists, and industry training programs to rapidly upskill Ukraine’s workforce to respond to immediate cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
Component 3: Build a resilient cybersecurity industry
A growing cybersecurity industry in Ukraine will contribute directly to national security and prosperity. This component will seek to build trust and collaboration between the public and private sector to develop innovative solutions for future cybersecurity challenges; spur investment and growth in the broader cybersecurity market in Ukraine through greater access to financing; support smaller cybersecurity companies to rapidly increase the number of local cybersecurity service providers; and offer mechanisms for Ukrainian firms to connect with industry partners to enable better access to innovations and business opportunities.
Together the above components will improve short-term cybersecurity resilience in Ukraine and establish a solid foundation for long-term cybersecurity independence and leadership. Lessons and best practices from key critical infrastructure sectors will extend to all parts of the public sector, as well as to the private sector and civil society .
- Role’s Purpose:
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager manages all aspects of the monitoring, evaluation, and learning process, including development of indicators, setting targets, data collection, entry, and analysis, visualization, and reporting. The MEL Manager will be responsible for assessing and reporting progress toward achieving key results as agreed to in the MEL Plan and Annual Implementation Plan. In close collaboration with the technical leads, the MEL Manager will identify data inputs, sources, and formats required for monitoring and reporting progress, and for promoting collaboration and effective knowledge exchange among project implementing partners and external stakeholders. The MEL Manager will work closely with the CLA Manager to ensure that M&E data contributes to learning. Finally, the MEL Manager will be responsible for producing visuals for presenting project results against targets to the client and key partners and other audiences as needed.
- Develops MEL systems and plan. In consultation with the COP, technical leads, CLA Manager, make necessary modifications to indicators, targets, and the MEL plan.
- In consultation with the HO, procures and manages data collection tools and services and data entry and visualization software.
- Oversees and ensures timely and accurate collection and entry of data.
- Works with IT Specialist to ensure adherence to data protection and privacy standards and regulations in collection, storage, and transmission of data.
- Trains technical team members or other relevant staff in using collection tools they are responsible for using to compile data related to interventions they oversee.
- Oversees the design and implementation of evaluations that assess overall project impact.
- Supervises the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) team
- Report on progress against targets according to established schedules.
- Supports the COP in all technical documentation and reporting processes as requested
- Analyze data for and produce donor-requested reports with high-quality and easy to understand visuals.
- Work with grants team to determine indicators that apply to grant and appropriate grant-level targets.
- Support capacity building in M&E practices for project beneficiaries and partners.
- At least nine years of experience in M&E management for international development projects
- At least four years of experience with data reporting for USAID and/or other donors is required
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Experience in survey design and development
- Expertise in database management and data analysis
- Experience with using statistical software, including SPSS, Stata, Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Proficiency with desktop publishing
- Bachelor’s degree or higher i n international studies, statistics, mathematics, or a related research field preferred
- Fluent English and Ukrainian/Russian is required
Qualified candidates should send their CV and cover letter to UkraineCCI_Recruitment@dai.com or via the DAI website. Only short-listed candidates will receive notice requesting additional information.