Mexico Team Lead
Consultancy (~200 days from 1 December 2021 to 31 December 2022)
The RTI International Center for Global Noncommunicable Diseases is the research partner for the World Diabetes Foundation’s Diabetes Compass. The new initiative aims to develop a digital tool to support practitioners in low- and middle- income countries to improve the care of people with diabetes. The first phase is the creation and testing of this tool will start in November 2021 and will be completed by December 2022. It is anticipated that a following phase of evaluation will occur in 2023 through to end of 2024 with further consultancy support required from the postholder. RTI will be working in Sri Lanka, Tanzania, and Mexico to undertake formative research to inform and guide the tool development process, and to design and undertake an evaluation of pilots of the tool application. Consultants in each country will support us in liaising with stakeholders and coordinating, setting up, and conducting the research.
The Team Lead will have substantial experience either in leading, designing, and conducting and non-clinical, health services or health systems related research, and / or in managing the implementation of public health programs in Mexico. They will have a strong understanding of qualitative and quantitative methodologies, the health issues in Mexico, public health / prevention, as well as strong knowledge of the health system, contacts with government and civil society, and ideally will have some knowledge of, and contacts in the diabetes or non-communicable disease community.
The successful candidate is likely to be a local national qualified to doctoral level, with a minimum of ten years’ experience, including research leadership. The Team Lead will work under the guidance of the RTI International Country Liaison & Diabetes Research Analyst, who will act under the RTI Project Director.
Scope of Work
- Liaise with the RTI project team to plan the Mexico research and partner / stakeholder interactions
- Guide the implementation planning of research activities in Mexico to ensure they are executed to a high quality standard
- Facilitate in-country research activities such as workshops, focus group discussions, practice observation, and interviews
- Coordinate submission and approval of ethical approval applications for research activities with relevant institutional review committee
- Manage and oversee data quality and integrity
- Advise the RTI team on country context and matters pertinent to the successful conduct of the research
- Provide regular reports on the conduct of the project in Mexico to RTI
- Collaborate as a co-author on manuscripts, reports, communications outputs as required
Deliverables by project phase
- Prepare monthly summary reports to RTI team in format to be agreed at outset
- Participate in regular check-in meetings with RTI team and country liaison staff
- Respond to day-to-day queries as required
Rapid Insights Generation:
- Support research associates’ preparation of a list of 6 stakeholders available for key informant interviews, including names, brief biographies
- Review and input into key informant interview guide
- Review key informant interview transcripts and review / input to RA’s summary of themes and issues; contribute to further analysis with RTI
- Identify local IRB, necessary documents for submission, and timescales
- Coordinate and facilitate /co-facilitate patient (2) and provider pathway (2) workshops, including identifying participants, coordinating logistics, and recording data
N.B. The format and content of these workshops will be developed by RTI – with input from the Team Lead
- Support research associates’ preparation of a list of frontline health providers in participating health facilities who can participate in a one-day observation, including their names, facility, job role, and other characteristics to be specified.
- Coordinate logistics and supervise the conduct of 2-3 provider observations by research associates, including securing consent from the participant and any needed facility supervisors and completing data collection to be shared with RTI.
N.B. The observation methods and data collection framework will be developed by RTI, with input from country consultants
- Coordinate logistics and facilitate / co-facilitate 2 behavioral insights workshops, including identifying participants, managing scheduling, and preparing needed materials.
N.B. The workshop agenda and scenarios will be developed by RTI with input from country consultants
- Review and input to report on preliminary analysis of provider observation and behavioral insights workshop findings as prepared by research associates.
- Review survey questionnaire for the user and environmental characteristics survey.
N.B. The survey and methods will be developed by RTI with input from country consultants
- Provide input on data sources for environmental scan on digital landscape assessment.
- Support research associates’ preparation of a list of 4-6 individuals who can participate in interviews on the current digital health landscape.
- Provide written transcripts in English of research associates’ key informant interviews.
- N.B. The interview guide will be developed by RTI with input from country consultants
- Provide input on updated SWOT analysis to be prepared by RTI.
Research for solution design and testing
- Coordinate logistics and qualitative data collection for user testing of Diabetes Compass, to include approximately 12 focus group discussions and 8-12 individual interviews.
N.B. The focus group discussion and interview guides will be provided by RTI and Manyone.
Development of evaluation framework
- Review and input into theory of change and evaluation framework for Diabetes Compass implementation.
Masters degree and 12 years of experience or Bachelors Degree and 15 years of experience