INVEST Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist
Period of Performance On/About (From – To)
End of Project
Maximum Level of Effort
Base of Operations
- Project Background:
INVEST is a flexible, rapid buy-in mechanism that allows USAID missions and operating units to quickly and efficiently access the specialized expertise required across industries and geographies to identify, develop, and execute on private capital mobilization finance solutions. INVEST bolsters the ability of USAID missions and operating units to attract and leverage local and international capital to address development challenges at scale. This strategic engagement with private capital fosters a shift towards enterprise-led development that enhances the efficiency and sustainability of USAID programs.
- Role’s Purpose:
INVEST has over 45 buy-ins and $130 million in buy-in funding. The portfolio comprises a very diverse set of activities and approaches that require a nuanced understanding to effectively design or adapt the appropriate evidence and learning tools and questions. The INVEST Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist will support the INVEST Evidence and Learning Team on MEL activities. The Specialist will work alongside INVEST, USAID clients, and implementing partners to design and facilitate MEL processes and activities and contribute to MEL data verification, analysis, and reporting to USAID.
- Objectives and Duties
The MEL Specialist will work under the supervision of the Evidence and Learning Manager (ELM) and with the Strategic Investment Advisor for Evidence and Learning and buy in teams to provide support in the following task areas:
- Work with INVEST and implementing partners to facilitate methods for timely and accurate collection of performance indicator data– as defined in the INVEST MEL Plan.
- Work with INVEST Strategic Investment Advisors and the ELM to help identify learning questions and outcomes of interest among INVEST and USAID during the early stages of new buy-ins.
- Provide input on the selection and definition of appropriate indicators and data collection methods to track buy-in level performance and provide evidence to inform buy-in specific learning questions.
- Support buy-in level MEL activities such as:
- Working to specify MEL data collection and reporting requirements in buy-in SOWs and sub-contracts, ensuring they are incorporated into sub-contract deliverables
- Designing and managing the implementation of buy-in specific MEL approaches based on context and needs to track development outcomes and learning of interest to INVEST, PCM, and buy-in clients.
- Working with sub-contractors to define and track performance indicators and to capture learning
- Verifying transaction close-out reports and supporting transaction close out documentation, and reviewing other MEL-related deliverables
- Manage data for analysis of outcomes across portfolio
- Collaborate with buy-in clients and implementing partners to define appropriate methods for MEL data collection and verification, as these vary by buy-in resources and context.
- Work with the INVEST ELM to update and maintain the INVEST MEL data management system.
- Support ad hoc learning requests from PSE Hub
- Support ELM to prepare and integrate quarterly report
- Support data verification and data quality assurance activities to contribute to accuracy of MEL data and reporting documents.
- Analyze MEL data to assess outcomes and contribute to project reports and learning pieces
- Support and plan collaborative learning and adaptation activities – such as team-wide pause and reflect sessions- to support the identification, analysis, and synthesis of lessons learned from INVEST.
- Su pport INVEST on the development of thought leadership and learning content.
- Support all outreach within and external to USAID for disseminating learning content
- Support learning events and brown bags, as scheduled
- Provide MEL surge support, as needed, across the INVEST portfolio of activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Evidence and Learning Manager
Reporting : The MEL Specialist will report to the Evidence and Learning Manager.
- Master’s degree in an international development related discipline. Familiarity with USAID or other donor economic growth and finance sector development projects preferred.
- At least two years of prior work experience conducting MEL and research activities. Additional experience in conducting research in a development setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with multiple stakeholders for data collection, data verification, reporting and dissemination.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong data collection and data management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis and data visualization. Ability to use Excel and PowerBi preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID MEL guidance and policy in the context of the program cycle.
- Reliability and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English; Spanish, French or another second language preferred.
- Ability to work in the US